Fitting a new chainring: anything to look out for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

The new chainring is on now. The little nut things that the little allen socket things screw into had a sort of knurling on the back, and I thought because of that they tightened up nicely without me needing to hold the nut still with a screwdriver or 2p piece. I haven't used a torque wrench.

A short test ride showed that not everything is right yet, the chain is rubbing more than it used to on the front derailleur. I haven't looked hard, or put the bike on a stand, but it looks like the front derailleur can be moved up and down. It is attached to a rather neat brazed-on bracket. Does it need moving if you change chainwheels?

I have ordered a smaller front chainwheel too. There is too much of a gap between the two now, and the big one was too big for me anyway, 53t.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

youngoldbloke said:
- don't know what chainset you've got but recent Campag UT chainrings have little diamond shapes stamped on them that must be lined up as the chainrings are 'timed for optimum derailment'. Make sure you note the position of any thin spacer washers that might come to light and replace in the same position. (Also from the Campag info. : "Final assembly must be carefully performed to avoid an accident, personal injury or death" !)

It's Athena from the early 1990s as far as I know. No spacer washers came to light, and I was very careful so presumably I will avoid death from now on which is cool.

As you tighten you the screws, just move the Chain ring around a little to allow it to settle in correctly get the two parts to to seat in the cutouts in the chainrings , then tighten up acoss the chainring, screws 1, 3, 2 and 4 which will evenly stress the chainring correctly a little at a time, Flat Screwdriver and allan key does mine ok.

Thor

I've managed to damage one of the chainring bolts on a Campag Chorus chainset. :blush: Where can I get replacement bolts? Are chainring bolts interchangeable or are they all different? TIA

Thor

Well I only need the bolts. But if I can get 'em for £20 with a chainset thrown in - and it uses the same bolts as Chorus Ultra Torque, that'll do :rofl:

Top Bottom