fitting bar end shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starhawk

The conversion is finished the cable outers are noticed when I put my hand on the handles but not a problem and after a while I do not notice them at all. After all the talk about Shimano and SRAM not working together I put the shifter on "Index" just to confirm this, but to my astonishment it worked beautifully, all but the lowest gear which rattled slightly, but that is the largest cog forward and the largest cog rear so that shouldn't be used anyway. I am very pleased with the shifter they have distinct clicks and are easy to operate

starhawk

The cable outers and the "throttle" cable is more annoying then I counted on, got to do something about it. As the throttle cable can't go under the handles (too big connecter) I came up with the following possible solution: I cut the handles lengthwise, place the cable outer and the throttle cable in the slit and then wrap the handles and cable with a band, the type they have on a racerbike drop bar handlebar. That ought to work, what do you people think?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I run bar ends on four 'bents. Do yourself a favour and put a dob of grease onto the cable where it enters the bar mount. Otherwise, come winter and foul weather, you'll find your outers filling up with water. Makes for interesting times when it's below freezing....

The barrel adjuster is best fitted at the lowest point in the cable run as it falls from the bar. That'll give you an exit point for rain if it does pass the grease...

Andy.

starhawk

That's a thing I didn't thought of, the wire opening are right up. I don't think it will affect me however, I ride in the warm half of the year and don't ride in the rain if I can avoid it

Top Bottom