Fitting Bianchi did I get it wrong!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm 5"9 and ride 56cm old school road bikes, or 52/54 compacts (depending upon top tube = 54 top tube is ideal).

I have a longer torso. 57 sounds way to big.

Can you post a pic of the bike as is set up.

What inside leg are you?

I'm the same height as you, with a relatively short 30.5" inside leg. The lbs tried to sell me a 52 frame (spesh allez) - mainly based on standover height, but it didn't feel right. I took a flying leap of faith in my gut instinct and bought a 54 from ebay. I have absolutely loved it, and because it felt good from the start I have left it alone. In fact the only change I've made in 14 months was to raise the seat about 5mm.

Just recently I've felt the urge to push further back on the saddle when pushing hard on the flat, and am contemplating moving my saddle back a little. I'm beginning the process of thinking about a new bike - and am considering a 55 or even 56 to get a slightly longer toptube, though given the amount of pleasure I've had from this bike I might be best just going for a 54 cm Tarmac.

Bike fit is not a clear-cut science; you need to be comfortable, and that may mean moving away from certain of the unbendable rules of bike fitting. You may indeed be stretching too far, and consequently carrying too much weight on your arms/hands/shoulders. That could always be exaggerated by having core muscles that are at less than optimal strength. Your bike may be a little too big for you, but changes in stem, seat post layback, etc. should solve the issues. Instead of giving people £75 to tell you what you already know, try a few changes (one at a time) and just listen to how your body talks to you.

EYE-TYE-MAD

Bike fit is not a clear-cut science; you need to be comfortable, and that may mean moving away from certain of the unbendable rules of bike fitting. You may indeed be stretching too far, and consequently carrying too much weight on your arms/hands/shoulders. That could always be exaggerated by having core muscles that are at less than optimal strength. Your bike may be a little too big for you, but changes in stem, seat post layback, etc. should solve the issues. Instead of giving people £75 to tell you what you already know, try a few changes (one at a time) and just listen to how your body talks to you.
I agree, the thing is none of these frame sizes mean that much anymore, as the manufacturers are not all singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to where their measurement points start or end. Some measure from the bb to the the centre of the seat post, top tube junction; others from the bb to the top of the junction, & perhaps the most misleading of all, from the bb to the top of the seat post collar, it's a nightmare. Best thing if possible is to get yourself on whatever you are considering; otherwise, I'm afraid when it comes to the given sizes, size really doesn't matter!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Sounds on the big side to me - not un-rideably so but larger than optimum. I rode a mountain bike that was too big for me for years with no ill effects - but finally taking the plunge and getting a bike that was the right size made a HUGE difference.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've not got any comments to make on the bike sizing but on the pain aspect I suffer occasionally with Tietze syndrome and there is a very similar condition Costochondritis which give me pains across my chest - though mostly near the sternum. However I once went on a course and found I had to declare it as it can be confused with a heart attack.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Don't forget that this looks like the OPs first serious attempt at cycling. I'd expect a few aches and pains as under-worked muscle groups get their first real test. And since the OP is already a sportsman, I'd guess that it wouldn't be the regular ones that Jo Average (i.e. me) would get on a first big ride.

Top Bottom