Fitting Cross Levers to pre-existing brakes - compatibility?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wanting to add in some cross levers to a couple of bikes:

1)
Can they function properly if fitted retrospectively to a cable pull disk brake system?

2)
Can cross levers be retro fitted to run well with factory fitted cantilever brakes or v brakes? (I already have a bike running them with side caliper units).

I am thinking Tektro, as the set I have work really well. I am thinking the length of cable pull may have relevance?

Thanks for any assistance.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What is your primary set of levers/STIs/Ergos?

What is your primary set of levers/STIs/Ergos?

Thank your for replying.

I don't actually know yet as I am shopping for 2nd hand bike frames The answer to my question may impact which frame I end up buying, as I am very keen to have cross levers. I have started to search for 2nd hand frames to do up. These are long term projects for fun, but I don't really want to buy a frame only to find its fittings will never permit cross lever/brake compatibility.

I apologise for my ignorance (and often my spelling). My history is flat bars (hence limited drop bike knowledge), other than using a Tektro cross set up bike which came with combined brake and gear change levers and with its cross levers already fitted, so I have not gained much technical experience from that bike, as it was suitably spec'd by the factory.

I am sorry my reply is not more technically helpful. I am very limited by my lack of experience with drop bar bikes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well I'll go for (1) yes (but NB modulation will need finesse) and for (2), assuming the calipers are mini-Vs (ie designed for road levers/STIs) then yes to that as well (cantilevers will also work on STI cable pull).

andrew_s

Legendary Member
In general it all works well provided that the pull ratios of the brakes and levers match, so you'd use V-brakes or mountain bike cable discs with dedicated long pull "V-brake compatible" brake levers, or you'd use caliper/canti/road bike cable discs with regular road bike levers.
If push comes to shove, long pull MTB/V gives better braking than short pull Road as the cable tension is lower so the losses are lower.

I'm using BB7 MTN cable discs with Tektro RL520 drop bar V-brake levers and Tektro RL741 long pull interrupter/crosstop levers (with bar end shifters).
They work well together - better than BB7 Road and Ultegra drop bar levers did.

The downside is that a google for "Tektro RL741" (or 740 for 26 mm bars) only gives shopping hits for the short pull RL720 crosstop levers (for regular road caliper/canti cable pulls), so you'd be looking at alternative long pull crosstop levers such as...
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genetic-Cyclocross-Top-Mount-Inline-Brake-Levers_43550.htm
https://www.mossbikes.co.uk/product-page/paul-components-cross-lever-single-black (££££)

Fitting isn't difficult, but the length of outer between the drop bar lever and the crosstop lever can be critical.
Both ends of that section of outer have to be hard against the levers, and the central handlebar bulge can give very little leeway in where the lever clamp is placed.

Last edited:
The downside is that a google for "Tektro RL741" (or 740 for 26 mm bars) only gives shopping hits for the short pull RL720 crosstop levers (for regular road caliper/canti cable pulls), so you'd be looking at alternative long pull crosstop levers such as...
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genetic-Cyclocross-Top-Mount-Inline-Brake-Levers_43550.htm
https://www.mossbikes.co.uk/product-page/paul-components-cross-lever-single-black (££££)

Fitting isn't difficult, but the length of outer between the drop bar lever and the crosstop lever can be critical.
Both ends of that section of outer have to be hard against the levers, and the central handlebar bulge can give very little leeway in where the lever clamp is placed.

Thank you for all the tcch info you included and also for the links. All most helpful. I will do a bit more investigation.

I can have a good look at the bike which came with these levers so I at least have an example of one set up and running well with regard to the actual fitting of cables, which is something.

I suppose I could check with a bike shop, but not very inclined to as sadly had a couple of bad set up experiences, so prefer to kit stuff up myself. Was nearly killed due to a bad brake set up by a bike shop years back, then when I collected my cross lever bike from a Sheffield bike shop (was in region at the time), I found the front direallier was not set up properly so the chain went flying off. My housemate uses an identical bike bought a few weeks later and that too had a total failure of a gear change set up (same shop). Admittedly it was an odd set up (factory choices) with double chainrings being changed by a triple gear changer (or maybe thats normal?, as said my road bike knowledge is very limited at the moment) but anyway, I got them both changing fine in the end and they are good bikes. Such issues have made me prefer to ask on forums as people here can offer a wider range of personal experiences with kit. Its always a bit stressful though, buying stuff and hoping I have got the parts selection right! On the bright side, not had to historically send any parts back so far, so fingers crossed.

vickster

Legendary Member
I use cross levers on all my road bikes, including the one with TRP spyre cable discs and SRAM Apex 1x levers (I also have with rim brakes with SRAM Rival 10 & 11 speed and Microshift 9 speed). Think I have Tektro RL721 on all (“as have oversize 31.8mm bars (one lot might be Specialized).

You can’t use with hydraulic discs of any flavour afaik

Thanks for info. I presumed hydraulics/fluids discs were out, but wondered if mechanical/cable pull ones might function as the pull would be similar to traditional cables.

Your detailed info (not included in the quote above) was very helpful.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for info. I presumed hydraulics/fluids discs were out, but wondered if mechanical/cable pull ones might function as the pull would be similar to traditional cables.

Your detailed info (not included in the quote above) was very helpful.

Yes with TRP Spyres at least, I’ve had on 3 bikes. Can’t speak to others like BB7 but I did have a Boardman bike with BB5s which I swapped out v quickly but they came with the cross levers from Boardman as standard

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Secondary top levers for hydraulic brakes do exist

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/components/brakes/brake-levers/shimano-grx-bl-rx812-sub-brake-lever

The drawback seems to be that they use ~38mm of space on the (31.8mm) central handlebar section, so some bars may not suit, and they would interfere with putting other stuff on the handlebar.

Note also that you can't mix components designed for mineral oil with those designed for DOT fluid, so SRAM main levers & disc calipers are probably out.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Secondary top levers for hydraulic brakes do exist

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/components/brakes/brake-levers/shimano-grx-bl-rx812-sub-brake-lever

The drawback seems to be that they use ~38mm of space on the (31.8mm) central handlebar section, so some bars may not suit, and they would interfere with putting other stuff on the handlebar.

Note also that you can't mix components designed for mineral oil with those designed for DOT fluid, so SRAM main levers & disc calipers are probably out.

Thanks, I already struggle a bit with space with crosslevers on a 38/40cm

Top Bottom