Fitting gear hub to 8 speed Tern Node D8?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thisbee81

Hi - was wondering if anyone had experience/advice for fitting a gear hub to a Tern Node D8. I need more low gears due to the hills near me and was wondering if a gear hub plus the 8 speed cassette would be easier than adding rings at the front. current gear inches are 33-96 but think with a 3-speed Sturmey Archer I would get 24 - 128.

Has anyone tried this? What are the things I should look out for? How do I ensure compatibility? I've not done any bike modding before although always willing to give most DIY a go. Should I attempt it or take it to the shop?

Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Like most things I think it’s easier to adhere to the KiSS formula. Either put a smaller chainring on thr front or put a wider range block on the back, or do both. Alternatively you could cons a Alfine 11 speed hub together with a smaller chainring.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Do you need more both top end and bottom end?

I'd be tempted to get a smaller chainring for climbing and see if that solves the problem and you have enough gearing at the top end still.

It would be the cheapest way to do it.

Or you might be able to get a slightly wider spread cassette as @Cycleops mentioned.

Geared hubs would add a lot of weight.

Having said that, I've always fancied the idea of a Schlumpf Mountain Drive.

http://www.schlumpfdrive.com/index.php/mountain-drive.html

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Swopping the 8 speed cassette/chainring will be the cheapest solution, but I'd consider an upgrade to 10 speed. Deore would be fine and is good bang for buck. New chain, derailleur, cassette, r/h shifter, and chainring. As you need lower gears, an 11-42 cassette would get you into the mid 20s GI wise, with the same size chainring and not affect the top end. The jumps between the gears would be similar, but with 2 lower options and likely slightly better shifting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom