Fitting new cassette and chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hold back buying a new chainring until you've put the new cassette on an reindexed your gears if needed.

Yes do this, but if it still skips, then try a new chainring (don't want to keep a worn chainring as this will wear the new chain to suit, and thus also wear the cassette). It will NOT happen in a couple of miles though, so you need not be paranoid about it. Maybe a LBS can have a gander and fit one for you if they think you need it, they might have other suggestions being able to see and touch the bike.

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
I would be more than a bit surprised if your old cassette is functioning ok with the new chain but your chainring isn't. I have done 33,000 miles on just one chainring and used 4 sprockets I think and it does get used in pretty poor conditions. Cassettes are made of cheese these days, a bit like Look cleats.

Could be the cassette was regularly replaced by the previous owner. He had the full set up in the garage with numerous bikes and all the tools and equipment you could imagine. I'm fairly sure the bike was only used in good weather, and was well maintained.

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
Anyone got an opinion on the state of the inner chainring?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357152311154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357152311154.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 27
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357152323068.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357152323068.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357152332529.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357152332529.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357152342375.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357152342375.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
Also my inner chain ring is a 'sg-x 9s/ 10s 34-f'. No idea what these numbers mean...

Can anyone recommend a replacement so I can price one up?

Also my inner chain ring is a 'sg-x 9s/ 10s 34-f'. No idea what these numbers mean...

Can anyone recommend a replacement so I can price one up?
That inner chainring is worn, it's getting the classic shark fin profile. You will need to know the BCD [bolt circle diameter] to get the right one to match yours as there are several. Once you have that it's a fairly simple job to change it and there is plenty of choice out there. The 34 indicates a 34 tooth inner, typical of a compact chainset.

Top Bottom