Fitting rear rack on my Surly Crosscheck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I'm posting this here because I figure people who use this forum will know most about fitting racks.

I've got an old, cheapish Madison rack (cost about £20, I think) that used to be fitted on my road bike. I was planning to put it on the Surly, so I can use it for a bit of shopping until I can afford a good quality rack that will also be used for future touring. I tried to fit it yesterday, but found the mounting brackets at the front of the rack that connect to the seat stays aren't anywhere near long enough. They're already in the longest position, and are short by about 70mm, I think. (They're 200mm long, and need to be at least 270mm.)

Is this rack just not suitable for the Surly, and do I need a new rack? (If so, what would be suitable, up to a budget of around £35?) Or can I buy longer mounting brackets? (I saw some on Bike Discount, but they seem to be even shorter than the ones I've got.)

Bodhbh

Guru
SJS cycles is usually good for that sort of thing, although whether it'll be worth the P&P on a 20quid rack is another questions.

/edit I mean for the spare stays....although just a had a quick nose and didn't see anything that would be long enough.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
SJS cycles is usually good for that sort of thing, although whether it'll be worth the P&P on a 20quid rack is another questions.

/edit I mean for the spare stays....although just a had a quick nose and didn't see anything that would be long enough.

Thanks. I did find some that are long enough at 340mm, but they're £15 before shipping, so as you say hardly worth it for a £20 rack.

I think I'm having this problem because the rear triangle on the Surly is much longer than on the road bike it replaced, so I assume if I get a new rack that's sold as a "touring" rack, it will be designed to fit a frame with a longer rear triangle than a road bike.

Bodhbh

Guru
I think I'm having this problem because the rear triangle on the Surly is much longer than on the road bike it replaced, so I assume if I get a new rack that's sold as a "touring" rack, it will be designed to fit a frame with a longer rear triangle than a road bike.

Normally they stays are too long and you cut em down. I wouldn't think they'd be a problem.

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi lulubel
I might have just what you need both are new from a rack I bought but did not need as I used the others that I had 270mm long (just)
001.JPG

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Thanks for the replies.

I ordered a new rack from Bike Discount. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but the alternative was a cheap rack and a fortune on shipping, so I figured it made more sense to go for the realistically priced shipping and spend the extra money on a better quality rack.

Top Bottom