Fitting SKS Chromoplastic mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I've fitted a few sets. It takes a while, but the only pig of a job is cutting the stays down to size.

I use some Stanley cable cutters similar to these. They're rated to cut through solid steel up to approx 2.5mm diameter, which just about covers mudguard stays.
If you go down this route, a word of warning first. When you complete the cut, the excess you've trimmed off will ping off at an alarming speed in a random direction that may or may not damage your paintwork/eye/small family pet. To avoid this, get your cutters in position, then cover the end of the stay with an old rag. Once you make the cut, the rag will fall harmlessly to the floor along with the excess bit of stay.

OP
OP
J

Jo25

Thanks for all the advice. I know have both front and back fitted and they seem ok so far. I cut the stays with a fencing tool which took a bit of brute strengh and as you say the ends flew off all ove the place. They really need to improve their fiting instructions though.

Cheers!

Redrenojohn

I too am struggling to fit these mudguards to my bike. It doesn't help that they appear to have changed the design of the mudguard without updating the instructions! Instead of adjusting the length of the stays, cutting them and fitting end caps, the end caps are fixed to the mudguard itself - so you need to cut the stays to the right length before you can attach them to the mudguard.

Also, the screws supplied with my P35 mudguards are too short to go through the secureclip fixing - leaving not enough bolt proud to attach to the fork eyelet. I've just had to buy some longer screws.

It's also not clear how you should attach the mudguards to the fork if your brakes have a recessed fixing bolt. I'm opting to mount mine between the brake caliper and front of the fork.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Redrenojohn said:
It's also not clear how you should attach the mudguards to the fork if your brakes have a recessed fixing bolt. I'm opting to mount mine between the brake caliper and front of the fork.

I drilled out the hole to make it bigger and fitted it on the rear of the fork.

e-rider

crappy member
cut the ends with a hacksaw - takes about 60 seconds each. The picture of the rear bridge is incorrect - it should sit under the brake caliper and would therefore need to be the other way round; a minor point really. The main problem with fitting these mudguards is the front attachment under the fork crown if you have allen key brakes on a road bike and a standard headset. I've found that you just need to bend the metal a little to clear the lower race of the headset.

MartinC

Über Member
One thing to maybe watch out for. A couple of you have fitted the mudguard bracket on the nut side of the fork/bridge rather than the bracket. This means that the Allen nut isn't going to seat properly into the fork crown or seat stay bridge and the brake caliper may not be a secure as it should be. Better to fit the bracket behind the brake caliper. You can get extended Allen nuts that allow you to bolt the brake on and then the mudguard if you really want the mudguard behind the fork crown.

Top Bottom