Five weeks from UK to southern Spain/Portugal! Yippee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Why stop within sight of Africa ?
For the cost of a day and the price of a return ferry ticket from Algeceras or Gib you could go there!
Get the photo of you and the bike under a palm tree and your bragging rights increase massively "I cycled from home to Africa" is way better than 'only' cycling to Spain

Jmenorton

Looking forward to reading about the trip, planning something similar for next year. Looks like a great trip.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I am hoping that French municipal sites further south will be open till 30 Sept, by which point I expect to be in Spain
I rode from la Rochelle south last year from the 3/09 and found all the sites private/municipal still open.
I,m riding from Paris to Beziers from next Sunday so expect the same.

The sites in France start closing about the 14th or 16th - something to do with the deals they get on tax/electricity for being a seasonal business - ive cycled up in late September and about 50% of the sites were closed (and a lot of the hotels) - the west coast was like a series of ghost towns

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Why stop within sight of Africa ?
For the cost of a day and the price of a return ferry ticket from Algeceras or Gib you could go there!
Get the photo of you and the bike under a palm tree and your bragging rights increase massively "I cycled from home to Africa" is way better than 'only' cycling to Spain
Yes, that was strongly on my list of options. May well still be the case!

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
The sites in France start closing about the 14th or 16th - something to do with the deals they get on tax/electricity for being a seasonal business - ive cycled up in late September and about 50% of the sites were closed (and a lot of the hotels) - the west coast was like a series of ghost towns
Having looked at one or two in the northern half some are fine until 30 Sept or 31 Oct, others close on Sat 16th.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Just had a rather worrying email from a colleague asking me to work on a project that will span the entire 5 weeks..... Going to stick my fingers in my ears and shout la la la

Top Bottom