Fixed or Freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benthedoon

I'm going to treat myself to a single gear hybrid for my short flat commute, just a cheapy, I've found a couple of nice ones but the one I really like the look of is fixed.

I'm not daunted by the inability to freewheel and I've had single speed in the past but I've never had fixed, I'm working on the assumption that it will be a good workout through the winter.

Opinions, as always, welcomed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed, you'll get used to it, but make sure you have clips and straps or clipless pedals (i.e. foot retention).

RedBike

If you can go with fixed.

When I first got my fixie / SS I just couldn't get the hang of riding fixed. I kept trying to ride the bike fixed but I would end up scaring myself to death and reverting back to singlespeed. I would end up descending most hills at a snails pace with the brakes on

I would have stuck with singlespeed forever if it hadn't have been for the harsh winter we had. The snow/ice broke two freewheels in two weeks. So I was forced to ride the bike fixed wheel for a week or two while I got a replacement freewheel.

With riding fixed everyday for several weeks I just kind of got used to spinning down the hills and I began to feel more incontrol of the bike. I never did get around to fitting that singlespeed sprocket. I've had (and prefered to have) the bike fixed wheel ever since. i still scare myself on some of the bigger/steeper hills here in the pennines but I know there's nothing I can't get down by dragging a brake.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Think 'freewheel' think 'alcohol-free lager'. Go for The Real Thing - you know it's the only true way!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I like singlespeed, nice and easy for flat pedal riding with the kids or to the shops if you don't want to be buggering about with clipless or toe clips.

Think more of ss as a sophisticated top quality ale whereas fixed is a snakebite made with Special Brew and White Lightening.

potsy

Rambler
GEARS!!
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

I was wary of clipless but after advice/ opinions on this forum I decided to try them and now I wouldn't ride without my beloved SLs, so, after advice/ opinions on this forum, I'll be going fixed, hopefully I've clocked up enough overtime this month to treat myself if not I'll have to wait a bit but by early September a new bike! My wife is going to love me even more 'cause when they're new they live in the lounge.

Top Bottom