Fixed Penalty Notices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
As from the 16th of August most £60 Endorsable offences went up to £100 +3 points from £60. Non Endorsable offences are up to £50 from £30 (this includes cycling offences)
'No seatbelt' offences will go up from £60 to £100 (no points) too.
No insurance will be 6 points and a £300 fine (up from £200).

Will it make a difference to road safety?

As usual my constabulary sent the information out 2 weeks late.. however I'm out on the Motorbike this week making up for lost time!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Sadly probably not.
There needs to be more police on the road to actually catch 'them'.
(sarcasm alert!!)
But as we all know UK plc doesn't have the money to fund more police on the street and if you believe the statistics crime is falling so well that we don't need more police.
(sarcasm over)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I see people driving while on the phone every single day.
My commute to work is 1.5 miles, and at least half of that is on cycle paths.
That's not much time seeing drivers at all, yet I see so many of them on the phone...

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I think there's a business opening here.

Private company cars with video equipment to capture tailgaters/phones/seatbelts - simple stuff to evidence, and the firm gets say...40% of the resulting ticket value?

byegad

Legendary Member
Totally agree comedy pilot, I could make a fortune for just 90 minutes work a day photographing all the drivers using a mobile at our local roundabout. Privatisation may be a viable model.

Totally agree comedy pilot, I could make a fortune for just 90 minutes work a day photographing all the drivers using a mobile at our local roundabout. Privatisation may be a viable model.

I reckon any police unit on bikes, say, would be self-financing within a month if they enforced pavement parking, driving on mobiles, tail gating, side swiping, idiots reading newspapers at the wheel and so on.

StuartG

slower but further
I reckon any police unit on bikes, say, would be self-financing within a month if they enforced pavement parking, driving on mobiles, tail gating, side swiping, idiots reading newspapers at the wheel and so on.
Are FPNs hypothecated to financing the police?
I don't think so - and its a dangerous road to go down. Incentivises knocking off easy motoring offences (note - the EASY ones, not dangerous/careless) rather rather than expensive operations like Yewtree et al ...

RFATaff

Regular
Are FPNs hypothecated to financing the police?
I don't think so - and its a dangerous road to go down. Incentivises knocking off easy motoring offences (note - the EASY ones, not dangerous/careless) rather rather than expensive operations like Yewtree et al ...

Hear hear.

If that happened every force would have a huge white hat department but no CID....

byegad

Legendary Member
So privatise it. I can photograph head on a vehicle showing the registration number, face of driver and phone held to head of dozens of drivers every day, in the rush periods at our local roundabout. At £30 each to me and £70 to the local rozzers it's win win and no Police officer will need to leave the office!

No government will do that for one very good reason - easier convictions=more points=less drivers=less revenue for the coffers from the various motoring taxes.

In the meantime it'll be usual soundbites and no action!

Top Bottom