Fixed wheel chain noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I've just finished building up my new track bike, and I have to admit to being surprised at just how noisy the drive train is?

Is that correct, having never had anything to do with fixed wheels before are they normally noisy than a conventional geared set up?

I have checked the chain alignment so many times, with little tweaks in each direction, and no differance?

I've altered the tension on the chain, several times, no differance?

I've even taken the chain of and refitted it the other way round, (its a KMC chain with "banana" shaped side plates) no differance?

The chain was degreased and washed then dried on the radiator then two lots of Finish Line "dry" chain lube applied, no differance?

Thoughts from the masses?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have noticed a few times that the drive on a new bike can be noisy. In my experience, it significantly reduces after a few hundred miles under the wheels.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My drive train makes some noise (and it's had a few hundred miles put into it). Riding the Velodrome with others I've noticed that some have noisy-ish drive trains. I don't think it's a problem to worry about as long as your chain tension is about right all through one cycle of the chainring (sometimes chainrings are a bit oval).

longers

Legendary Member
The hire bikes at Manchester are noisier than my road going jobbie.
I don't know why that is so, but they've been set up by people who know what they're doing whereas my road bike hasn't.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
longers said:
The hire bikes at Manchester are noisier than my road going jobbie.
I don't know why that is so, but they've been set up by people who know what they're doing whereas my road bike hasn't.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

My road bikes get lots of oil on their chains (especially at this cr&ppy time of year). The Track bikes have fairly dry chains by comparison (no oil on the boards allowed :tongue: ). Is that what it is?????

ASC1951

Guru
The chain on my fixie is much noisier - well, creakier - than my geared bikes. That's because my chain is much tighter than just a derailleur spring.

Top Bottom