Fixed wheel playing up - HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Recently been noticing some squeeking, tho' not sure where from, but all of a sudden and for no obvious reason, my rear wheel has started going pear shaped on me. It's just not running smoothly, and today on my ride back it as near as locked up altogether.

I made it out of an old freewheel wheel - just replaced the freewheel with a cog, redished and used a bunch of washers to fill out the spacing - and it's been fine for three years. Then all of a sudden this. I've tried adjusting the cones, moving washers around, nothing makes any difference. Can't help feeling I'm missing something really obvious/doing something dumb.

Anyone had a similar experience and sorted it? Any suggestions on what kind of 'dumb' I might look for?

Have you taken the bearings out yet?

Many years ago I had a Mountain bike with exactly the same symptoms ....... the bearing carrier had collapsed.

Now on all of my personal bikes all of the bearing carriers have been removed and the bearings reassembled with loose ball bearings and loads of EP2 grease. You can fit an extra ball bearing in to each side of the wheels and bottom bracket. ..... and an extra ball helping to carry the load in each set of bearings has got to be a good thing .... My Falcon Explorer hybrid has done over 25,000 miles in 5 and a bit years on this set up without any issues or problems; I am still running on the original wheels & bearings, bottom bracket & Headstock, freewheel cluster, groupset and chain.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I haven't. Should have thought of that - it's a good idea and I'll try it out. Thanks. They are loose bearings, by the way, but I haven't checked them. I will.

Any other suggestions still very welcome!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Took it apart - yegods! The whole cup in the hub was completely mashed up - just horrible. How the damn thing was turning at all is a mystery. One Dead Wheel. *sigh*. Shame...it was one of my better wheels...

Top Bottom