Fixie choice: Fuji declaration (2018) vs Regal 'the spectre'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparxfix

Hello everyone,

im finding it exceedingly difficult to find objective views on these bikes;

1) Fuji Declaration ($650 in my area)
http://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/city/urban/declaration/declaration

2) Regal $545 on sale (local brand in Toronto, my hometown, seemingly popular) The Spectre
https://www.regalbicycles.com/collections/premium-fixies/products/the-spectre

what jumps out to me is the chromoly double butted frame on the Regal but just 1 year frame and fork warranty vs limited lifetime warranty and hi-ten (?) frame of the fuji

thanks for your time!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Frame warranty doesn't sound too impressive but I doubt there's very little difference between the two frame wise.

What jumps out for me is that the Spectre doesn't have brakes! Don't know what the law is over there but in the UK they are compulsory, so you need to add that cost.

I can tell you that @vb17_val has a Declaration so maybe he can comment on its merits or otherwise. He will receive an alert to this post or you can send him a PM.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The Fuji seems significantly heavier, that cannot all be in the brakes. However, the marketing bull shoot for the Reagal is something that would put me off completely

"The Spectre is for those who are fearless and in control. Living up to its name, this is the divine phantom of the Premium series. With slick black frames and matching rims, you’ll turn heads on the road. ThickSlick tires are designed for quick, ghostly escapes. The SRAM S100 Crankset rotates freely with a Truvativ Power Spline Bottom Bracket. And a Ritchey stem gives you that comfortable ride - as you and The Spectre haunt the streets!"

OP
OP
S

sparxfix

Thanks for your help,

The bike does come with front and rear brakes but they're not pictured for some reason. I will indeed contact the member you mentioned. Thanks!

Frame warranty doesn't sound too impressive but I doubt there's very little difference between the two frame wise.

What jumps out for me is that the Spectre doesn't have brakes! Don't know what the law is over there but in the UK they are compulsory, so you need to add that cost.

I can tell you that @vb17_val has a Declaration so maybe he can comment on its merits or otherwise. He will receive an alert to this post or you can send him a PM.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
S

sparxfix

Lol yeah I totally agree on the marketing.

A little background: I'm from Toronto, Canada. Regal is a local company here. Their bikes are somewhat popular but they have somewhat of a hit/miss reputation.

My issue is that the iffy reputation seems to be associated with their 'cheaper' bikes and I can't seem to get much feedback on their premium line. I have gone in and tried the declaration and like it, however I am a 'serious' rider in that my bike is my car. I ride all year (through winter) and can be rough on my bikes. I had a Specialized Hardrock for years and loved it (had to lose it for financial reasons) but decided to go fixie/single speed mainly for ease of maintenance and maybe a more fun ride (and they look cool!)

All this to say, I've been told repeatedly about the importance of a frame and if I can get a chromoly double butted Frame over a hi ten, for the same or less cost, shouldn't I go for it? The parts list of the regal seem okay? I can always upgrade them no? But the frame will always be the frame

Anyway this is my conundrum. Trusted name maybe worse frame Vs less trusted name and better frame

The Fuji seems significantly heavier, that cannot all be in the brakes. However, the marketing bull shoot for the Reagal is something that would put me off completely

"The Spectre is for those who are fearless and in control. Living up to its name, this is the divine phantom of the Premium series. With slick black frames and matching rims, you’ll turn heads on the road. ThickSlick tires are designed for quick, ghostly escapes. The SRAM S100 Crankset rotates freely with a Truvativ Power Spline Bottom Bracket. And a Ritchey stem gives you that comfortable ride - as you and The Spectre haunt the streets!"

vickster

Legendary Member
Go ride them and see which you prefer. Someone else’s opinion however objective is not always helpful when you’ll be the one riding the bike

OP
OP
S

sparxfix

Go ride them and see which you prefer. Someone else’s opinion however objective is not always helpful when you’ll be the one riding the bike

I agree,

I tried the Fuji and liked it. Unfortunately Regal does direct to customer sales so they don't have a store front to try the bikes

vickster

Legendary Member
I agree,

I tried the Fuji and liked it. Unfortunately Regal does direct to customer sales so they don't have a store front to try the bikes
Get the Fuji then. Buy the bike you’ve ridden if you can’t separate them otherwise :okay:

vb17_val

The fuji declaration rides like a tank (heavy like one too). But it is one of the most durable bikes that I have ridden. I have no experience with the other bike you mention but if given the choice I'd choose the fuji declaration over any other SS/Fixed gear bike for the price range.

Top Bottom