Fixie/Freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farky

Hi,

I have just bought a second hand Specialized Langster to use as my commuter (my allez is very poorly and I don't think it will survive another winter). Liking it so far but the fixed gear takes a little getting used to. I do have the option of a freewheel but the cassette/freewheel is not there.

Can anyone tell me exactly what it is I need to purchase? Is it as simple as a 16 (or 14 would be better as my cadence is high on the 16t fixed) tooth shimano freewheel or do I need something more specific.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge and thanks in advance for any help.

MajorMantra

Yep, that's what you want. A decent LBS should have a few in stock. They look like this:

CDFW116.jpg

Matthew

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Being honest, bin the 'freewheel' singlespeed idea..........carry on fixed..far better...

And fix up the Allez pronto..i.e. some TLC and oil....... I run 3 bikes that are over 15 years old...... I won't post the photos......but these bikes are all well used....(you can search) there is no reason why an Allez should be knackered...... bit of TLC is all that is needed... and a part or two......

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Thanks for the replies. I'll give the fixed more time then and I consider myself told off with regard to the Allez.

Raindog, does a fixed make it that much easier than a freewheel and if so, why? After all, if I release the pressure surely it'll roll at the same speed.

raindog

er.....
Once you get a fixed wheel rolling, it almost drives itself. Difficult to describe if you've never tried it for very long. I'm sure someone can explain in technical terms much better than I can.
Stick it out - you'll see what I mean.

yashicamat

On the subject, I was intending to build a single speed as there are a lot of big hills around here and it'd be nice to be able to fly down them without having to have a gear that is so tall that I can't get up the other side . . . .

Would there be an argument for a fixed for me?

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Fixed are not good for hills...you'll spin out on the way down and I don't care who you are, you wouldn't get up hills in a gear you wouldn't spin out in.

I personally think they're ideal for what I'm doing which is commuting from Surrey to central London on a fairly flat route.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
yashicamat said:
On the subject, I was intending to build a single speed as there are a lot of big hills around here and it'd be nice to be able to fly down them without having to have a gear that is so tall that I can't get up the other side . . . .

Would there be an argument for a fixed for me?

How big are the hills ?

Depending upon route, I can switch between two gear ratios (sprocket each side) but I don't switch mid route. :biggrin:

Top Bottom