Fixing a puncture or replacing inner tube when dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It does not rain all the time.

vickster

Legendary Member
The garage is cold 😔. Parents won't let me bring the cycle into the home. But I'll do it somewhere. The garage also has next to no space. My dad is one of those that buy junk from garage sales and keeps it. Any space created will get occupied by him with his junk.

How do I detect what's caused the puncture when the tire is soaking wet and gritty out in the field?

It's all well and good at home when it's clean and dry..

You don’t need to take the whole bike in…just the wheels (or one at a time). If you think the garage is cold, at least it’s not dark, wet and windy like a winter evening roadside so if you plan to cycle in all weathers, as others have said get practising (or ETA rescue cover :smile: )

Windle

Über Member
+1 for practicing in a warm dry kitchen or garage. Get that perfect, then doing the same out on the road won't be too much of a challenge.

I alway carry spare tubes, but I always try and initially patch the puncture first. If the latter works, that's great, but if it deflates again a few miles later, it could be that the cause of the puncture is a flint, still embedded in the tyre. So a second attempt is needed , but reassuring that you still have a sound spare tube waiting to be used.

That's my preferred method too, if it's obvious where the hole is it's far less of a faff to just pull the holed bit of tube out, clear the thing that's caused it and patch the bugger. Don't even need to take the wheel out. The puncture fairy isn't usually that generous though.

Alex321

Veteran
This, if the weather is okay, patch. If it is cold (enough that your hands are losing sensation) and / or wet just put new tube in and patch at home.

I work the other way around, I got into the habit when the only riding I was doing was commuting of just swapping the tube because it was so much quicker than trying to find and patch the holes.

Speed isn't as important on after work or weekend rides, but I still prefer to do it that way. I carry patches and glue with me, so if I get more than one puncture I have a chance of repairing the later one at the roadside.

I then patch the tube when I get home, and have good light and a bowl of water to help fiund the hole, and can sit comfortablky while working on it. And the patched tube then becomes the sare one carried in my saddlebag for the next puncture.

Sharky

Guru
The puncture fairy isn't usually that generous though.
They can be a bit mean, especially if they attack your remaining Tubular tyre, miles from home. But I was prepared, with a razor blade,, needle and wax thread and repaired it by the roadside. Today's cyclists with clinchers and tubeless tyres have it easy!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ask Halfords as well if they do tyre liners or slime puncture protection, these would help a bit as well. Here you go https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...halfords-anti-puncture-tyre-liner-469966.html. These should help, but nothing is 100% re stopping punctures.
You could try fitting them yourself as good practice for when you get a puncture in the wild.

Work of the devil. They will rub the tube and you'll get some tiny holes in the tube over time. Tried some a couple of years ago, thinking the modern stuff is better, it's not.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Work of the devil. They will rub the tube and you'll get some tiny holes in the tube over time. Tried some a couple of years ago, thinking the modern stuff is better, it's not.

I read this from research too. That they will wear out the tube and tire as they rub. Didn't know they cause tiny holes though. So this is a no go. Replacement tires then? Are my Kendra stock tires puncture resistance not any good?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I read this from research too. That they will wear out the tube and tire as they rub. Didn't know they cause tiny holes though. So this is a no go. Replacement tires then? Are my Kendra stock tires puncture resistance not any good?

Keep your tyres for now, you may just have had bad luck.

Punctures are part of life (not that I get many) - just learn to fix one. I'd recommend talcing (talcum powder in the bathroom cupboard) the inside of the tyre or the tubes - it stops them sticking and it's easier to fit. You then just need some plastic tyres levers and your thumbs.

The tyre liners also dead the feel of the tyre. I was getting a puncture at least twice a week a couple of years ago on my commute on the canal after the council trimmed the hedges (thorns). Tried the liners, and whilst they worked, after a few months I was getting random slow punctures. The holes were that small they were difficult to find, even in a bucket of water. I then found one on the edge of where the tyre liner was and it had worn the tube. I removed them and bought better tyres.

Unless you are puncturing regular, keep the tyres for now. My commute is notorious for glass, and only tyres with a good protection band stand up - they get cut to ribbons, but 99% of the glass doesn't get through - I did, however, get a large shard through a couple of weeks ago. It also was raining, so I just ended up with filthy hands from the roadside change of tubes. I fixed the tube later, in the warmth.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
M

Milena

UPDATE - Spoke to the LBS he said there was a puncture caused by a big ol thorn. He added that he took a photo of it.
So ermmm apparently that was it.... Wonder if any LBS's purposely insert a thorn or nail to make it seem like there was a puncture when there wasn't? Not saying he did that. Just something I thought of. It would be VERY easy to do that after all.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Keep your tyres for now, you may just have had bad luck.

Punctures are part of life (not that I get many) - just learn to fix one. I'd recommend talcing (talcum powder in the bathroom cupboard) the inside of the tyre or the tubes - it stops them sticking and it's easier to fit. You then just need some plastic tyres levers and your thumbs.

The tyre liners also dead the feel of the tyre. I was getting a puncture at least twice a week a couple of years ago on my commute on the canal after the council trimmed the hedges (thorns). Tried the liners, and whilst they worked, after a few months I was getting random slow punctures. The holes were that small they were difficult to find, even in a bucket of water. I then found one on the edge of where the tyre liner was and it had worn the tube. I removed them and bought better tyres.

Unless you are puncturing regular, keep the tyres for now. My commute is notorious for glass, and only tyres with a good protection band stand up - they get cut to ribbons, but 99% of the glass doesn't get through - I did, however, get a large shard through a couple of weeks ago. It also was raining, so I just ended up with filthy hands from the roadside change of tubes. I fixed the tube later, in the warmth.

Sounds like excellent advice. Thanks. I will hold off buying new tires for now and see how I get along with the stocks.

Are these levers worth buying?
https://www.bikeparts.co.uk/product...of-2-carded-mrrp-14-99?variant=31337060630624

vickster

Legendary Member
UPDATE - Spoke to the LBS he said there was a puncture caused by a big ol thorn. He added that he took a photo of it.
So ermmm apparently that was it.... Wonder if any LBS's purposely insert a thorn or nail to make it seem like there was a puncture when there wasn't? Not saying he did that. Just something I thought of. It would be VERY easy to do that after all.

Good grief :wacko: if you’re so paranoid, start fixing your own punctures asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom