Fixing gear hanger alignment with just 2 M8 threaded bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Possibly old news, might be of interest to some:

Has anyone tried this? It looks like the M8 bolt doesn't actually thread thru the hanger, but is held perpendicular via the washers.

I think I will try the 'spare wheel axle thru the hanger' method tonight first tho! Looks more fiddly, but saves buying the bolts.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I simply use a threaded axle from a Shimano hub, those axles are all M10x1mm fine thread, exactly the same as that of the mech hanger, and I judge it by eye, You can buy such an axle for peanuts.

So yes a M8 threaded rod would not thread through the hanger, and it would slosh around a bit within the dropouts. So I would imagine care is needed to make the reference count.

Do be careful if you use the wheel method, for at least 3 reasons. Firstly no front threaded axle is M10x1mm, secondly not all rear hub threaded axles are M10x1mm, with the wrong one you could end up damaging the thread of the hanger. Finally the protruded threaded axle of a qr hub, which is often a bit mangled to start off with, is typically only 5.5mm long, and imho not long enough to hold the weight of a wheel, especially one with a tyre, on the hanger without again risking stripping its soft, alloy thread.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
I simply use a threaded axle from a Shimano hub, those axles are all M10x1mm fine thread, exactly the same as that of the mech hanger, and I judge it by eye, You can buy such an axle for peanuts.

So yes a M8 threaded rod would not thread through the hanger, and it would slosh around a bit within the dropouts. So I would imagine care is needed to make the reference count.

Do be careful if you use the wheel method, for at least 3 reasons. Firstly no front threaded axle is M10x1mm, secondly not all rear hub threaded axles are M10x1mm, with the wrong one you could end up damaging the thread of the hanger. Finally the protruded threaded axle of a qr hub, which is often a bit mangled to start off with, is typically only 5.5mm long, and imho not long enough to hold the weight of a wheel, especially one with a tyre, on the hanger without again risking stripping its soft, alloy thread.

Points taken, thanks. I didn't get chance tonight, so I'll have a go early next week.

/edit oh I bought the free axle on the off-chance for a quid.

Top Bottom