Fixing jammed chain and geers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrissmit

Hi I have a Brompton where all of a sudden the gear jammed in a really bad way.

What is the best way to go about this?

I've attached a couple of pics to show you what is going on...
IMG_0791.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0792.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 6

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
The tensioner is awry. Loosen it off to see if it will reposition correctly. If not the bolt may need replacing.

OP
OP
chrissmit

chrissmit

So, what do I do best:
Remove that "pulley wheel"/ "Tension awry" or remove the chain first (using a special tool that I have)?
Or take out the whole back/reat wheel and see what happens?

Thanks

Kell

Veteran
Was it all working correctly before this - or has someone been fiddling?

Because from what I can see there's no way the chain should be that side of the bolt holding the jockey wheel in place for the chain pusher. If correctly fitted, it shouldn't be able to jump out between the chain pusher and the guard rails on the jockey wheel.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Or you could try just putting the chain back on the pulley wheels first. You should be able to raise the end of the tensioner with your finger to get the chain back on. If you can't then there's a problem with the tensioner.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the tensioner has somehow flipped 180^ plus from where it should be. The bolt holding it on place may be loose , or it make be photo angle playing tricks, but it looks out of wonk on the 2nd photo, which may be how it was able to flip back?

OP
OP
chrissmit

chrissmit

Or you could try just putting the chain back on the pulley wheels first. You should be able to raise the end of the tensioner with your finger to get the chain back on. If you can't then there's a problem with the tensioner.

The chain is as tight as a ***; can't move it an inch/mm

Kell

Veteran
The chain is as tight as a ***; can't move it an inch/mm

Ordinarily, I'd say swing the back end down as that releases the tension on the chain (hence the need for the chain tensioner in the first place). Have you already done that? It's hard to see from your pics, but I'm assuming you have as your luggage rack is on the floor.

The chains do have a breaker link in though - but you might need some chain pliers to remove it.

Wiggle | Park Tool Master Link Pliers MLP-1.2 | Chain Tools

I'm still genuinely confused though as to how you managed to get the tensioner underneath the chain that should be going over the top of your rear sprockets.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I always found when arsing around with the back wheel on a brommie, laid on its side on the floor was its best position, then you could fold its back wheel into the foetal position to relax it / release chain tension.

OP
OP
chrissmit

chrissmit

Undo the gear cable then undo the hex bolt. That will enable you to take the chain tensioner etc off , and free up the chain. Then put it back together in right position.
I just undid the chain. I had a look at the chain tensioner and when I align it with the other fixed little gear, they are not. I also think I can visible see that part of that tensioner is damaged.
I'll go to a dealer and ask him and possibly get it replaced.

Top Bottom