Fixing jammed chain and geers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Interesting that recently, the chain tensioner on my beloved Brommy came off altogether. I've had the bike five years and am puzzled that even with the minor movements of said tensioner that it came off at all. Luckliy, I was close to home so, no big deal, but odd that it happened at all - !

12boy

Guru
I am always listening for creaks and squeaks, more noise from the hub etc. They let me know if I need to pay attention to something. The chain could be dry, the suspension block needs greasing, the hub needs a little oil etc .

simongt

Guru
I am always listening for creaks and squeaks,
Good advice. Always listen to your bike. It can keep you out of impending trouble.
Although once, I was getting worried about a persistent tap, tap, tap whilst I was pedalling. Turned out to be the lace lock on my tracksters which was dangling outside and knocking against the top tube - ! :rofl:

OP
OP
chrissmit

chrissmit

Ok, here's my update.

I removed the chain; bought a new tensioner and mounted that (which was really easy); re-did the chain and it all seems to be working...
The only thing I shouldn't have done is clean the chain; there is now one shackle that doesn't really "follow" but I guess that will straighten itself out.

Thanks for all the help!

rgds
Chris

Kell

Veteran
If that is the case, I'd be tempted to just get a new chain and rear sprockets.

It may be that that kink in the chain is what caused the problem in the first place

Ok, here's my update.

I removed the chain; bought a new tensioner and mounted that (which was really easy); re-did the chain and it all seems to be working...
The only thing I shouldn't have done is clean the chain; there is now one shackle that doesn't really "follow" but I guess that will straighten itself out.

Thanks for all the help!

rgds
Chris

When one of your shackles isn't following it's because you have a stiff link - the cause of which is one of the pins/rivets not being seated correctly in the side links/plates. The very least that can happen is an irritating noise when the chain passes through the convolutions of the rear chain tensioner. One of the worst things that might happen is that the chain snags in the tensioner and destroys it. Or, if the stiffness is a symptom of a rivet which isn't properly centered in the chain, that the chain could fail. Usually when under load. That is to say, potentially, at the very moment that you stomp on the pedal to accelerate away from under the front wheels of a runaway 18 wheeler that's bearing down on you.

Top Bottom