Fixing rings for bottom bracket.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

Whilst investigating a clicking, which I initially thought was my pedal, I eventually got round to my bottom bracket, a Shimano UN54. I have found that the left hand fastening, I don't know the technical term, (adjustable cup??) was actually cracked right through. Going further on the other side once I removed the chainwheel the drive side was also loose, I was able to undo it and remove the bearing without using the extractor. The cartridge itself feels perfect, smooth and no roughness or play. It was originally fitted by the local lbs, but about 9 months ago so probably a bit late to go back and expect a freebie repair.

So, can one get hold of a left hand cup without buying a complete BB assembly. I can't find anything online.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
take it back to your LBS, they had obviously tightened up the plastic cup far too much and cracked it. They probably have a couple lying about the place that they could/should give you.

redjedi

Über Member
If you don't have any luck with your LBS drop me a PM. I probably have one lying about which I won't need any more.

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

redjedi said:
If you don't have any luck with your LBS drop me a PM. I probably have one lying about which I won't need any more.

Thanks for that offer.

My local LBS wasn't much help, so I rang Spokes in Epping and he has a couple so can fix me up. I will pop over to them in the morning and hopefully will be sorted.

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

Just a quick update.

Spokes in Epping sorted me out. He had a second hand metal removeable ring.

This shop has got me out of a muddle a couple of times, and I can wholeheartedly recommend them.

Top Bottom