Fizik 5B Shoes,Any Thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
Im currently looking to replace my shoes(3 bolt).The easiest thing to do is simply to replace like with like,my present pair are Mavic and indeed Ive been very pleased with them all round.I simply liked the look of the Fizik and having tried one of their(very expensive)shoes found that the fit was a good one.Fine so far, however one hears and reads of issues with Fizik shoes in terms of construction,overall comfort and the like.So,if you have any experience of Fiziks and 5B in particular,Id be grateful for your thoughts.

Travs

Do you mean R5B or M5B (ie Road or MTB)? Appears the B refers to the Boa securing system of the elastic and ratchet system rather than strap. Didn't even know they did that.

The only experience I know from any of Fizik's shoes are that a friend of mine was generously given some R3s and found on longer rides he used to get a pain on the outside of one ankle. Cleats and other variables were tried and he put it down to the stiffness of the CF sole as his decade old Shimano SPD-SLs were and are fine - so the latter for longer rides, the former for shorter runs. I dare say that's not solely (get it?) applicable to Fizik shoes, and either version of the 5 doesn't have CF so shouldn't be a danger to you but there we go.

uclown2002

Guru
Do you mean R5B or M5B (ie Road or MTB)? Appears the B refers to the Boa securing system of the elastic and ratchet system rather than strap. Didn't even know they did that.

The only experience I know from any of Fizik's shoes are that a friend of mine was generously given some R3s and found on longer rides he used to get a pain on the outside of one ankle. Cleats and other variables were tried and he put it down to the stiffness of the CF sole as his decade old Shimano SPD-SLs were and are fine - so the latter for longer rides, the former for shorter runs. I dare say that's not solely (get it?) applicable to Fizik shoes, and either version of the 5 doesn't have CF so shouldn't be a danger to you but there we go.
I got that with my fizik R3s about 10 mins into the ride on both feet so I sold them on; someone told me you need high arches for them to suit. I now have the same problem with some Sidi shoes so they'll have to go as well. No such issues with the 3 pairs of shimano shoes I've had.

OP
OP
H

Hyslop

Veteran
I got that with my fizik R3s about 10 mins into the ride on both feet so I sold them on; someone told me you need high arches for them to suit. I now have the same problem with some Sidi shoes so they'll have to go as well. No such issues with the 3 pairs of shimano shoes I've had.
Food for thought there,I dont have particularly high arched feet so something to consider.Shimano are my other option,indeed my MTB shoes are Shimano,and very comfortable they are too.Clearly then,some time to be spent in the LBS tomorrow.I rather fancied Shimanos R171 until some cheeky soul remarked that perhaps they were a little too "Michael Jackson" for me!

OP
OP
H

Hyslop

Veteran
Finally bought the shoes I needed and bought....Mavic.In part this was because I already own a pair,I like them,and they are a good fit for my foot.However,in trying the Fizik(R5),I discovered something which may be useful.Sizing up for my cycling shoes means I take size 9,however I found that a Fizik size 8 was too large,both in width and length.Even allowing for the different lasts of different manufacturers,I was a bit surprised at that.Worth considering should any of you be considering Fizik shoes.Nor can I say I was too impressed by the quality of the R5.Rather cheaply made I thought,with poorly made velcro staps and a plasticky look to the whole shoe,disappointing overall Im afraid.

blackgoff

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-carbon-road-cycling-shoes-white-red-id_8315398.html - these're a near copy and some of the FDJ team are using them. I tried them and they're brilliant but are a tad narrow in the 'fit....

OP
OP
H

Hyslop

Veteran
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-carbon-road-cycling-shoes-white-red-id_8315398.html - these're a near copy and some of the FDJ team are using them. I tried them and they're brilliant but are a tad narrow in the 'fit....
Thanks for that,Ive just asked to be updated when they restock-which has to be a good sign in itself,must be popular.Mind you,the cheek Ive had from people about my white Mavics(which have only been on the turbo so far)"poser","Captain Tasteless"etc....this from people who look as if theyve crashed into a paint factory!

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here

I have Fizik R3's and I have fallen arches, and no problem. I do have relatively narrow feet though, not sure if this makes a difference?

blackgoff

Just for info on shoes - i managed to try some normal, that is regular / narrow Bonts and i am a 42 cept they where tight so if i was to buy some, not that i would as i have 2 nice sets of shoes with a carbon sole and I'm more than happy with the fit, i tried a 43 and was amazed in this.. as 42 is always my no. In fact i recall ex-pro Dave Millar being quoted as saying that pros try and not to walk as this diaplaces your feet..and can affect shoe fitment.

Top Bottom