Flag Poles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My (our) flag pole snapped just above the cleat this morning; it is one of those four sections cheap ones. I usually take it down in heavy winds but this year I have left it up. Now the question is do I replace it with another cheap O or do I go for a mid quality one. Normally I raise the four Saints flags on the appropriate days and at other times there is likely to be one of the Union flags 1600 or our present Union flag, or one of several others (there was a smile pirate up when it blew over today). AndI have been known to fly the Jolly Rodger above the Saltire (we have Scots neighbours and they take it in good part).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Buy cheap buy twice.

It is illegal to fly anything but the Dannebrog in Denmark, unless you are an embassy or some such, you musn't leave it flying overnight, and woe-betide you if it touches the ground when you take it down. The Swedes seem generally more relaxed about the flagage. Which is surprising.

Brains

Legendary Member
A decent one should not need taking down.My father put up one in Cornwall, a place noted for high winds, about 15 years ago. Never been lowered and it flies a flag all the time

Update since yesterday, I have checked internet prices, and there is an even greater price spread on flagpoles than there is on bikes. So today I will measure the sleeve the bottom section of the pole is in and then order a new pole. The tragedy is that last week I ordered an expensive, sloppy flag that was to be flown on our 40th wedding anniversary this weekend; I was going to hoist it before SWMBO got up. The flags are only flown between sunrise and sunset and I have discreetly marked the Union flag, so I know which way to hang it. Must admit I take perverse pleasure in flying Cromwell's banner and the EU flag when it is voting time.

Flag pole erection problems eh? I hear Miss. Goodbody isn't too bad at knocking up a nice wooden one, eh @Fnaar ?

I am sure that Ms Goodbody can also advise on the length and circumference as well

I had heard that she had advised the Vicar's wife she she sought a new erection for the WI

Update since yesterday, I have checked internet prices, and there is an even greater price spread on flagpoles than there is on bikes. So today I will measure the sleeve the bottom section of the pole is in and then order a new pole. The tragedy is that last week I ordered an expensive, sloppy flag that was to be flown on our 40th wedding anniversary this weekend; I was going to hoist it before SWMBO got up. The flags are only flown between sunrise and sunset and I have discreetly marked the Union flag, so I know which way to hang it. Must admit I take perverse pleasure in flying Cromwell's banner and the EU flag when it is voting time.

OT...the trick with the Union Flag is to look at the stripes

There is a central red bar, with one thick and one thin white bar.

On the side nearest the flagpole the broadest strip is uppermost

Tim Hall

OT...the trick with the Union Flag is to look at the stripes

There is a central red bar, with one thick and one thin white bar.

On the side nearest the flagpole the broadest strip is uppermost
Add to that, surely a good flag will have a toggle on the hoist to attach to the halyard. Keep the toggle at the top, and the rest of the flag will follow.

Top Bottom