Flags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a flag that can easily be mounted on a bike rack (upright, not recumbent - I know that's easier to source)? We're touring across France and want a British flag to show where we're from. I popped into Halfords, but all they've got is England (Eng-er-land Eng-er-land) flags - we don't particularly want to be identified as football fans, especially since we're not.

theloafer

Legendary Member

Most markets will have a stall with miscellaneous flags.

Quickest way to mount is a length of kite rod (any kite shop) and zip tie to the carrier uprights, then attach flag.

Norm

Come to Windsor, there's about 1.2 million shops (I didn't count all of them!) selling Union Flags on sticks. They range from the cheap'n'nasty from the stall at the entrance to the Royal Station to some quite decent offerings in Glorious Britain. Cyril Howe always has a few too, as you can see through that doorway.

Whilst Windsor might not be of any help to you, srw, you might find a cesspit tourist trap nearby that has such things.

snorri said:
When you get one, please don't fly it upside down like the crew of a German cruise ship I saw today.:wacko:
View attachment 6344

A Chinese warship docked in Portsmouth harbour in 2002 and some fool from the MOD (or whoever) incorrectly chose the Taiwanese flag to fly in honour of the ship's arrival! :smile:

snorri said:
When you get one, please don't fly it upside down like the crew of a German cruise ship I saw today.:biggrin:
View attachment 6344

I was at a Scout Camp last weekend and several leaders had put theirs upside down.

Our Scouts had great fun in running into their areas and asking if they could help..... then when the bemused Leaders asked why they would reply ....'cos your flags upside down and that's a distress signal

Brains

Legendary Member
I found a small stick on "GB" solid plastic stick on fridge magnet thing in Halfords.
In fits neatly in my rear rack,looks just like a small car GB sticker

Arch

Married to Night Train
snorri said:
When you get one, please don't fly it upside down like the crew of a German cruise ship I saw today.:biggrin:
View attachment 6344

I have a Union flag Buff-a-like and I'm most annoyed that it's printed so that if you flew it as a flag, one side would be right and the other upside down... I suppose I could cut it open, and then in two, and re-sew it, but then the seams would never stretch like the fabric does...

ChrisKH

Guru
A couple of years ago i managed to pick up two "support boris" flags that were being given out on the London Freewheel. The really good thing about them is they came with fibreglass whippy flagpoles with attachments to put on your bike. These would be ideal to put a flag on.

Arch

Married to Night Train
GrahamG said:
Is it a good thing to identify yourself as British? It's not something i'd considered given our reputation abroad....

Sadly, I wonder about that. But I think maybe it's ok as a cycle tourist, where you are relating to people, rather than acting like a yob.

If you mean politically, I guess it depends where you are travelling - although I suspect a cycle tourist would still get a certain amount of benefit of the doubt - just because we aren't 'mainstream'.

Unless you are very fluent, your accent will probably give you away anyway as soon as you talk to anyone.

Top Bottom