Flash memory cards - what's the difference between Class 6 & Class 10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
I was going to buy a new SDHC card and am baffled about the difference between Class 6 and Class 10 cards.

Am I right in thinking that Class 6 cards faster?

And am I likely to need more than an 8gb if I am planning to shoot mostly photos, and the occasional video (mostly not HD)? Or should I go for 16gb on the grounds that you always run out of space?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

Am I right in thinking that Class 6 cards faster?

Er think that through. If the lower the number the faster the card then you'd have to change the speed values for each class type evertime they brought out a faster card. Or start using negative numbers :laugh:

8gb should be sufficient.

You don't defrag flash cards as it will shorten their life expectancy.
You don't access files directly on the flash card that will be modified frequently during access as that will shorten the cards life expectancy.
You can't use a flash card like a rewriteable harddrive substitute because the maximum number of writes to a cell before it stops functioning mean you will probably kill the fat table section a lot sooner than the predicted life expectancy for that card.

BSRU

A Human Being
The class of the card just guarantees the minimum speed, my class 6's are guaranteed to write at 6 Meg abut actually write at nearly 14 Meg. Better quality cards tend to have higher writing speeds for the same class.

Top Bottom