Flat bar gravel bike versus drop bar gravel bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

so solid crew

Hi All, what are your recommendations flat bar vs drop bars? to add a bit of context I have a road bike that i sometimes go off road on using gravel tyres I also have a hardtail mtb with massive 2.8 inch tyres that is hard work on the roads. I'm looking to get something to bridge the gap ie a gravel bike but cant decide on which bars to go for.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It really is personal opinion.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I bought a Specialized AWOL gravel bike down here with flat bars but I changed them back to drops. As said it's just personal preference.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'd ask yourself what you intend using the gravel bike for.

If it's going to be just for short rides, then it probably doesn't matter whether you go for flat bars or drops.

But if you're thinking of longer rides (including on-road as you mention above) then my suggestion would be to go for drops.

I bought a new gravel bike with drops in February, intending to use the bike for longish rides (50km to 80km) on a mix of terrain: roads, canal towpaths and green ways ... so far it's been perfect.

Of course it's a matter of personal preference but, for a long day on the bike, I'd always go for drops.

I did a 100km audax which was mainly gravel and found that hand positions were important, closely followed by gearing choice. It was very hilly with some gradients pushing >20%, even with 34/34 I was pushing and walking along!

Top Bottom