Flat bar widths, what size do you prefer ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
I'm going to cut the flat bars down on my Giant ebike i recently bought. At 700mm wide, i feel they are too wide for a hybrid. Its also tight getting the bike through my door when taking it out. Not sure yet what i will cut them down to, prob somewhere from 600mm to 640mm. I dont want them too narrow as this bike will be used off road a fair bit.
Interested to know what width flat bars people have and prefer on their hybrid, commuter, folder or MTB.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have recently bought a Giant Fathom 29. I dont know how wide they were but they were too wide for me. I took 2cm off either end and fitted ergo grips and they are perfect now.

The Bystander

Über Member
As I never felt particularly comfortable with my 620mm bar which had a slight rise, 700mm would feel extreme to me.

I figured that as I ride mainly on the hoods on my drop bar bike, and they're just 460mm apart, a straight bar of that width ought to be OK.

In the end I fitted a straight, flat 520mm bar with bar ends . Much better. It's my utility bike so no off road.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes. It is the 2020 model. They were far too wide for me. But I am using it on farm and forest tracks and not for going nuts MTBing.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
My Toughroad bars were 640mm wide and felt perfect for all round riding for me, but then again in quite a big chap :laugh: . My new mtb came with 780mm bars which felt massive - even for me, so I trimmed them down to 740mm and they’re still ok whilst giving a bit more control off road than my previous narrower ones.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
My Toughroad bars were 640mm wide and felt perfect for all round riding for me, but then again in quite a big chap :laugh: . My new mtb came with 780mm bars which felt massive - even for me, so I trimmed them down to 740mm and they’re still ok whilst giving a bit more control off road than my previous narrower ones.

I think i'll also go down to 640mm, can always cut more if i think i need it.

D

Deleted member 26715

My Cube came with 780mm, I went to 700mm still too wide, went to 600mm too narrow, decided on 640mm seems right for me

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
My Cube came with 780mm, I went to 700mm still too wide, went to 600mm too narrow, decided on 640mm seems right for me

Yes, 640 seems a good happy medium.
Right, the hacksaw is coming out. I assume this shouldn't affect my warranty on the bike or the ekit part of it !

C R

Guru
Yes, 640 seems a good happy medium.
Right, the hacksaw is coming out. I assume this shouldn't affect my warranty on the bike or the ekit part of it !
I guess it probably does affect the warranty, wouldn't it make more sense to get a 640 bar and keep the one that came with the bike in case you need to claim on warranty?

D

Deleted member 26715

I guess it probably does affect the warranty, wouldn't it make more sense to get a 640 bar and keep the one that came with the bike in case you need to claim on warranty?
TBH that's what I did, but took me 3 attempts, so if somebody is after 780's, 700's or 600's I probably got them somewhere

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom