Flat bars - how wide are yours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
psmiffy
stupid question - is there any good reason why so many bars taper? It can make fixing stuff to them a right fag.

One would assume it is because bending stresses are higher the closer to the centre of the bars that you get - therefore an increased diameter/more metal is prudent - or it could be just that they are prettier than straight bars ^_^

OP
OP
psmiffy
ditto - but only 25mm off each side - giving me now 670mm outside of bar end to bar end - first impressions is it looks more compact - not so gangly somehow - proof of the pudding is in the riding tho - major plus is that I can now get the bike through the front door without any faff ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One would assume it is because bending stresses are higher the closer to the centre of the bars that you get - therefore an increased diameter/more metal is prudent - or it could be just that they are prettier than straight bars ^_^

I reckon it's a mixture of both.

Presumably a tapered bar is a bit lighter than an equivalent plain gauge one.

I agree with @Blue Hills, bolting junk, I mean essential cycling accessories, to a tapered bar can be difficult.

thanks psmiffy - I thought it might be to do with bonkers ideas about weight saving. Sod pretty, I have some bars that are short on space for mounting stuff and the taper makes bits of the remaining bar pretty useless for mounting stuff. So then of course you have to bolt a somewhat heath robinson affair to the bars to get a mount!

I reckon it's a mixture of both.

Presumably a tapered bar is a bit lighter than an equivalent plain gauge one.

I agree with @Blue Hills, bolting junk, I mean essential cycling accessories, to a tapered bar can be difficult.
essential - 2 front lights (one a commuter flasher, the other a country lane light) , a bell, a garmin or speedo of some sort. I had to fit an extender to my new expedition bike just to get that on.

A minoura thing I had which itself had trouble getting fixed onto the bars because of the taper. Now replaced with something slimmer and simpler (and cheaper) from China which I can provide a link for if folk are interested.

OP
OP
psmiffy
you have to bolt a somewhat heath robinson affair to the bars to get a mount!

More Heath-psmiffy than Robinson

2017-05-29 13.55.27.jpg
2017-05-29 13.56.10.jpg

A minoura thing I had which itself had trouble getting fixed onto the bars because of the taper.

The Minoura thing works brilliantly on the straight bars - better than the old version

The Minoura thing works brilliantly on the straight bars - better than the old version

Which one do you mean?

My two work fine - very solid - but the band that fastens it to the bars is wider than my chinese cheapo and it is an overcomplicated design with several bits fastened together and hence (though I have had no trouble with either of mine) potential for bolts coming loose. At least one of mine also uses two screw-heads, one of which has worn. Chinese cheapo uses a single hex bolt.

edit:

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371663150177?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=640654455498&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T

Thee are also longer versions with two slim mounts to the bars though I haven't used one of those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
psmiffy
This one

32043.jpg

yes that is better than the old design - I have two different sizes of it.

Practical Cycles in Lytham also stock some interesting Minoura "junk fixers"

Top Bottom