Flat bars to drop bars on tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I love my self built steel 1990s tourer and fancy trying it with drop bars and bar end shifters.

I'm confident I understand the technicalities of the conversion, just wondered what difference there is likely to be riding? Much more stretched out? The bike is at the small end of my comfortable size range, so that would probably be a good thing.

Ad placed in the CC wants for bars, shifters and brakes.

Reactions: C R

iluvmybike

Über Member
More choice of hand positions than flat bars - but prob need bit of time to adapt to new positions

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Depending on the length of your current stem, you'll be wanting a shorter one. You might find your steering a little more twitchy at first.
I went the other way a few years ago, from drops to flats. I found I was standing on the pedals more when setting off so it's possible you find yourself seated more often. Maybe not.
I went back to drops not long after. Too settled in my ways I guess :smile:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Have you considered Geoff bars?
All your existing levers will fit and, if set right, you’ll end up with a spot just like sitting On the hoods

Won't Geoff be upset that @All uphill nicked his bars?

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for the advice.

With drop bars from @DCBassman and other bits from eBay my 1994 Marin Stinson now has drop bars and bar end shifters.

I've ridden 35 miles on it this morning and identified a need to slightly tilt the saddle forwards, otherwise it is as comfortable as ever, maybe more so. The bar end shifters are a revelation!

Any similarity to the bikes of @Andy in Germany and @Vantage is purely coincidental. Honestly.:laugh:

Top Bottom