Flat pedal moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
but wouldn't that make me fall off my bike?
You may be onto something here. Take a piece of, (arguably) unnecessary equipment, use it in such a way as to increase the risk of accident or injury, and simply mitigate the effects by donning safety equipment. All you then need to do is to start an online discussion on the matter and the justification for the extra expense appears as if by magic.

So. Forget the injury potential of bear traps/rattraps, razor sharp pinned flat pedals, or the potential leg injuries from clipless moments, and buy a pair of leg guards. That way you can use either pedal system safe in the knowledge that your shins and knees will be safe from either.

Then we won't have anything to discuss and can get back onto hi-viz and lighting debates!

By the way McB, I suspect you are sponsored by the purveyors of flat pedals, and are trying to steer us away from 20 quid wellgo PSD and 20 quid Lidl shoes towards the non-hyped and mis-marketed flat pedal:
http://www.hotlines-uk.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43495

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
:eek: :eek: :eek: £150 for a pair of pedals...

Did you see the blurb though?

"We analyzed everything that was on the market and started with a clean slate to completely re-invent the pedal."

They are very clever though because despite all the design changes they managed to disguise them to look like...well...er...a normal pedal!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

"We analyzed everything that was on the market and started with a clean slate to completely re-invent the pedal."

They are very clever though because despite all the design changes they managed to disguise them to look like...well...er...a normal pedal!

:biggrin: For some of the high end stuff the marketing blurb is indistinguishable from the stuff you see for cars or perfume. I know, but those are the two things advertised that strike me as the most bizzare in the way they're hyped....when I'm unlucky enough to actually have to see an ad. Even the kids assume any ad that they have no idea what it's for will either be a car or a perfume.

zigzag

Veteran
i had my flat pedal moment on clipless m520 pedals. put on my trainers, cycled to the shop one mile away and back. am i accepted to an elite flat pedalists circle now?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
i had my flat pedal moment on clipless m520 pedals. put on my trainers, cycled to the shop one mile away and back. am i accepted to an elite flat pedalists circle now?

Hmmm, I think you're still a bit of an inbetweener, shall we say temporary membership to see how you behave?

Cubist

Still wavin'

You're missing the whole point, which is clearly one of ground clearance "the thinness of the pedals lowers your center of gravity for increased stability and better cornering, brings you closer to the axis of rotation for a more effective pedal stroke and increases your ground clearance so you are less likely to be obstructed by objects on the trail. ", 'cause 5mm higher and you'd get catapulted off the trail with every rock strike, wobble around unable to complete a whole rotation of the cranks, and fall over on corners. .

jethro10

Über Member
I get sciatica, quite badly sometimes.
However I can always pedal a bike with it, without pain strangely....except clipless, as the upstroke introduces intolerable pain.

So looks like I'll have to stay being an uneducated peasant
rolleyes.gif

Strange really that I can hardly walk to the bike sometimes, but can pedal OK. I did most of the C2C last year with sciatica. Didn't dare got off for the hills to push!

Jeff

Top Bottom