Flat pedal moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
I was slowing down on the approach to a red light and moved my foot from pedal to ground to support myself. When the light turned green, I pushed off, moved my foot back to the pedal and rode on.

Hey, it could happen to anyone, just when you're least expecting it, too.

:biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
:laugh:

Davidc

Guru
Quite remarkable snailracer.

And are you saying you didn't fall off when stopping or starting?

Wasn't it a bit slow and difficult without all that extra power from the upstroke?

And do shoe shops really still sell shoes without cleats fixed to them?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Truly remarkable, I can't believe that you managed to start off without your foot flying off the pedal resulting in a 10" gouge in your shin and a nasty meeting between crotch and crossbar. I mean, what are you going to chuckle about all the way home now? no-one really has a good laugh on a bike unless they come off and it's even better if there's at least a bit of blood involved.

Next you'll be claiming that cycling's normal and you can just hop on a bike wearing whatever you like. Honestly, people like you have no idea how things really are.

OP
OP
snailracer

snailracer

Über Member
Quite remarkable snailracer.
And are you saying you didn't fall off when stopping or starting?
Indeed I am. However, modesty prevents me from mentioning my elite riding skills, honed from decades of dedicated practice.

Wasn't it a bit slow and difficult without all that extra power from the upstroke?
As I had severely handicapped myself by being unable to push forward, scrape backwards AND pull up, I could only reach stable forward velocity by virtue of having colossal leg muscles, honed from decades of dedicated practice.

And do shoe shops really still sell shoes without cleats fixed to them?
What a preposterous suggestion. However, if they did, by virtue of my esoteric pedal non-attachment system (normal shoes on flat pedals), I would hypothetically be able to walk between the bike rack and shoe shop without an intervening visit to A&E.

potsy

Rambler
I personally have put toe clips onto my clipless pedals for the extra security, can't be too careful
wink.gif

tyred

Legendary Member
I personally have put toe clips onto my clipless pedals for the extra security, can't be too careful
wink.gif

For the ultimate belt and braces, why not bolt your shoes to the pedals. Be sure and use high tensile steel bolts of at least 1/2" diameter for added strength and security. Oh, and use castellated nuts and split pins just to make sure they don't come loose. :whistle:

OP
OP
snailracer

snailracer

Über Member
Truly remarkable, I can't believe that you managed to start off without your foot flying off the pedal resulting in a 10" gouge in your shin and a nasty meeting between crotch and crossbar...
One should file all the sharp teeth off the pedals, complete a course of tetanus jabs and avail oneself of a cricketer's box before undertaking such a perilous activity as riding with flat pedals.

OP
OP
snailracer

snailracer

Über Member
For any small children* that might be browsing this forum, do not, under any circumstances, attempt to emulate me by cycling with flat pedals :stop:

(Professional stunt rider, closed circuit)

* Unless you already do trick riding on your BMX.

potsy

Rambler
Mac's problem is he doesn't have our cat-like grace when he falls off, he ends up in a big heap on the floor, where-as we clipless users always land on our feet like a feline
tongue.gif

OP
OP
snailracer

snailracer

Über Member
For the ultimate belt and braces, why not bolt your shoes to the pedals. Be sure and use high tensile steel bolts of at least 1/2" diameter for added strength and security. Oh, and use castellated nuts and split pins just to make sure they don't come loose. :whistle:
For ultimate strength and security, you can't beat seam welding.

Top Bottom