Flat pedal moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
What a preposterous suggestion. However, if they did, by virtue of my esoteric pedal non-attachment system (normal shoes on flat pedals), I would hypothetically be able to walk between the bike rack and shoe shop without an intervening visit to A&E.

I'm glad to hear this. Sale of such shoes would of course be a serious offence under the Approved Footwear Regulations, enacted by the Secretary of State for something or other under the Mandatory Use of Pedals With Fixings For Cleats Act two thousand and something, also known as the Thou Shalt Only Use Clipless If You're A Serious Cyclist Law.

In addition wearing them might render you liable to paying road tax, being forced to ignore red signals and to ride around all night on Dartmoor without any lights, and David Cameron might well privatise you, which could be very painful.

buggi

Bird Saviour
OMG.. I'm doing up my old bike for my brother. He hasn't got proper cycle shoes so i've ordered him flat pedals to tide him over until he gets his shoes? Do you think i should send them back? i'm not sure he can cope with a flat pedal moment!!! :wacko:

OP
OP
snailracer

snailracer

Über Member
^^
As your brother owns no 'proper' cycling shoes, he is clearly not a 'serious' cyclist, or is perhaps a beginner who does not have the benefit of decades of dedicated practice. As such, muscular development in his leg region is unlikely to be sufficiently colossal (IMO at least 0.55 Hoys) to propel a bicycle at stable speeds given the disadvantages of flat pedals, in comparison to the marvelous efficiency of clipless.

I would suggest a course of nandrolone and HGF injections to bulk up his thighs. If his body fails to respond, a diet rich in the equally-potent Spanish meat should have the desired effect. You may be aware that these supplements are popular amongst 'serious' pro race cyclists, who do wear clipless pedals, but are nonetheless handicapped by their documented inability to 'pull up' on the upstroke, in common with your unfortunate brother whilst using flat pedals.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
For the ultimate belt and braces, why not bolt your shoes to the pedals. Be sure and use high tensile steel bolts of at least 1/2" diameter for added strength and security. Oh, and use castellated nuts and split pins just to make sure they don't come loose. :whistle:

Why not just use a pair of these - pyro platforms - the future of pedalling!
PYRO_pedal_top_view.jpg

Wear flat shoes AND be clipped in!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I heard a piece of outrageous blasphemy the other day, someone suggested that flat pedals were for accomplished cyclists and clipless for novices. Something about these people would be falling over anyway, the clipless pedals just give them an excuse.

GrasB

Veteran
I was slowing down on the approach to a red light, moved my left foot off the pedal and onto the ground to support myself. When the light turned green, I pushed off, placed my left foot smoothly back onto the pedal and resumed pedalling.

Hey, it could happen to anyone, just when you're least expecting it, too.

:biggrin:
I did this today as well with KEO cleats & left 2 cars for dead... so exactly what is your point? :rolleyes:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Legend tells of a mythical rider who was, with use of powerful magic, able to recreate a hilarious clipless moment using only flat pedals and a taxi.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I ran over my own feet once using flat pedals. I was riding a recumbent quad, there was a lump in the road, my feet fell off pedals and I ended up with legs folded behind me under the seat. Which wouldn't have been so bad (except that it was giving me a cramp in my calves) were it not also that I then came to a halt in the middle of Piccadilly Circus with the lights against me.

About as amusing as most clipless moments, really

OP
OP
snailracer

snailracer

Über Member
I did this today as well with KEO cleats & left 2 cars for dead... so exactly what is your point? :rolleyes:
Do you ask the hordes of "clipless moment" posters what their point was?

BTW I left about 30 cars for dead from the lights this morning :tongue:. Granted, they were stuck in a jam...

Willie Erskine

Über Member
I've just done this too. Is it a problem? No really, I'm 50 and done 500 miles over last 5/6 months (on a hybrid!!!) and its happened at least twice now that I can remember. The thing that really concerns me is I was wearing a pair of Karrimor trainers and puma trackie bottoms. Just imagine what could have happened if I'd been wearing lycra padded shorts!

I don't know what to do now, should I just give up? Maybe I'm thinking too much about it and should just carry on. I need advice!

Or maybe not.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i too had a flat pedal moment on a recent cc ride. my feet were too warm to be a serious cyclist. i felt out of place with the others, i didn't feel part of the gang, because i wasn't moaning how cold my feet were. it's the last time i'm wearing sensible winter walking boots in cold weather, i don't like being the odd one out!:smile:

Top Bottom