Runners with pedal toe clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

antfrogboy

i don't believe that cycling in runners will wreck your ankles, but you should still get some clipless pedals if you carry on cycling because they're faster, more efficient and more comfortable

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Walking boots here. Never been an issue.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
In all the years I've been riding bikes it has always been on flat pedals and in some sort of normal footwear. It's not unusual for me to ride in an old pair of workmens boots, especially on my MTB's where I'm off-tarmac and might end up coming to a halt in a muddy puddle. I might look like a builder, but I don't care.
I won't ride a bike in any footwear that I couldn't happily walk around all day in.

OP
OP
R

RuthM

Hey folks,
Thanks a million for all the advice. I'm going to stick to my runners and toe clips for now but can always come back to this page. When I'm pedalling the contact is all with the front/toes part of my foot. I have been cycling many years although not exactly regularly (max twice a week and sometimes only once a fortnight or less) and haven't noticed any discomfort. Maybe some brand will start making wide fitting shoes :smile: Thanks Ruth

si_c

Guru
Lots of MTBers (most I think) use flat pedals with trainer like shoes (they do tend to be a bit stiffer and have grippier soles than running shoes though) and have zero problems with their ankles.

I'd suggest these comments are more about the uniform and not based in any functional understanding of how pedalling works.

If you are comfortable now with no discomfort then continue until you fancy a change or something starts to hurt.

mqroll

hi
im new be
before (to buy cycling shoes) i used trekking boots ..... nice solution just for winter... in summer hard sole shoes anyway, if on running shoes i feel pedal in half hour

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My preferred shoe for cycling are Trepass hiking trainers. They grip the pedal well, have reasonably stiff soles and I can walk for miles in them so are suitable for off-bike activities as well.
I've been using Sports Shoes own brand (Higher State) hiking trainers on my flat pedalled bikes, and they work well too, ime (they're described as a trail running shoe, but imo they're more like a hiking trainer (heavier & bulkier than my Asics trail shoes).

These: https://www.sportsshoes.com/product...haker-trail-running-shoes-~-ss21/#sku-hst1286

Top Bottom