Runners with pedal toe clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RuthM

Hi, I've been cycling a few years and recently joined a road cycling club. I've done +/- 60km cycles at about 25km/hr pace with them wearing runners with toe clips. They said I'll ruin my ankles cycling in runners and should get cleats with cycling shoes or get cycling shoes suitable for toe clips. I don't want to get cleats so today bought a pair of Rockrider MTB shoes. I had to buy a 1/2 size bigger than my runners as they are narrow and my feet are really wide. I tried them on the bike and realised that I can fit three fingers between my ankle and the back of the shoe so I don’t think my ankle is getting any support. Is there any chance of my ankles getting injured if I continue cycling with runners and toe cleats? Sorry for being so long winded! Thanks

iluvmybike

Über Member
Lots of people ride in non cycling specific shoes quite happily. Riding in squidgy running trainers or other similar shoes could be a problem on longer distance rides as your foot is not getting much support as you pedal and you can get problems with the arch of your foot and advantage of 'proper' cycling shoes is in the stiffness of the sole so they don't squidge as you pedal so you don't waste energy in the pedal stroke. Having cleats helps your foot and pedal become as one unit and helps with pedalling power as well as it makes you more efficient in the pedal stroke cycle. It means you can also pull as well as push. Your mtb shoes are probably better than running shoes as they will have some stiffness in the sole and using them with toe clips is better. Perhaps you should persist with them and see how you get on rather than shelling out for expensive pedals & shoes. People may comment with best intent but sometimes it's about you just not having the 'uniform' for the given activity. If you find you have problems then you can change then. If not feel free to carry on!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was using a pair of Hoka running shoes on my Brommie. Hokas have very well cushioned sole to the extent that some think they look a bit like Clowns shoes 😁
They’re brilliant at gripping the pedals and my feet never slip off. The downside which I only noticed after a while is that there’s no support and the outside of my feet were tilted down below the line of the pedal.

They said I'll ruin my ankles cycling in runners and should get cleats with cycling shoes or get cycling shoes suitable for toe clips
That is absolute twaddle!

There are some advantages to cleats+stiff_shoes - as people have described here already - but they're not going to magically protect you in ANY way! See how you get on with your current shoes - the absolute worst case is some discomfort as you increase ride-duration.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I do now use cleats and cycle shoes: the mountain bike two screw type so I can walk in the shoes as I find they make cycling more comfortable and slightly easier /safer. Now that said I cycled for maybe 25 years before that with toe clips and straps, usually in traditional leather shoes, everyday shoes rather than cycling shoes.

So, whilst I do see a benefit in clip in cycle shoes they're by no means essential and anyone telling you you'll damage your ankles is quite obviously talking bollocks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As others have said, you need stiffer soled shoes. MTB ones might cause problems getting out of toe clips due to the grips, so a touring, or hard soled shoe.

The problem with running shoes is they won't offer the support to your foot, generally the arch, so you are likely to get quite sore as the shoe will be bending more than it needs too.

Plus you'll ruin the running shoe soles and the uppers will wear badly on the toe straps and clips.

A stiffer sole is better but how stiff depends on how much force you apply. Most cycling shoes are rated for pro sprinters. If you are just riding along steadily you dont need as much stiffness. Most trail shoes provide sufficient stiffness and are std wear for tourists who dont use clip in cleats.
I have ridden loads on Hi Tec Silver Shadow trainers.
You need to match the grippyness of pedal and sole. Too knobbly will impair speed of removal from toe clips. Too slick will not grip the pedal enough.

Btw, no one uses old fashioned toe clips with slotted cleats. If you need this level of retension, modern clip-in systems ( called "clipless") are much safer. In touring mode, old fashioned toe clips are generally used with lose straps for rapid exit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The problem with running shoes is they won't offer the support to your foot, generally the arch, so you are likely to get quite sore as the shoe will be bending more than it needs too.
That depends on your pedal and whether it's big enough to support much of the foot.

The stiff shoe fetish is mostly for people with stupidly tiny pedals, but a drawback is the stiffest ones offer little cushioning against shocks and vibration. Much of the energy used to squash a softer sole will be returned when it is allowed to expand.

vickster

Legendary Member
If I may add to this ... if you ARE going to buy special shoes, I think it's worth investing in the SPD (2-bolt mentioned above) pedals and matching shoes. The pedals are £30 (cheaper if you get lucky), shoes not a lot more (try PlanetX).
She says she doesn't want to get cleats, so there's no point buying SPD shoes and pedals surely

@RuthM do your feet or ankles actually hurt over those long pretty quick rides. If not, just ignore the self appointed 'experts' in your club. Most road cycling shoes don't really give much ankle support either

Really don't understand the comments about wrecking your ankles. How ??

I mean you can get a pair of stiffer trainers - as has been said above I have used trail shoes for many years for spin classes where I also need to be able to walk around.

SPD or time Atac pedals and proper cycling shoes are better though. You'll never have a foot fall off the pedal and I've used them for decades without having any issues. It's great for bunny hopping too.

Top Bottom