Flat pedals with pins + booties?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jnow

Regular
I know there are various approaches to minimizing cold and or wet feet. My question is about only one of those approaches: in particular, Does anybody know if the under-strap and/or the soles of booties/overshoes get chewed up or even ruined by the pins on some flat pedals (such as mine which are Raceface Chesters)?

I'd think they'd destroy them in short order. Even putting your feet down occasionally puts holes in overshoes. Constant contact with pins would tear anything.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Agreed.
Overshoes won't last long on any metal pedal, even without pins.

I'd suggest winter boots.
There are plenty of relatively light walking boots with goretex or similar waterproof liners, and which are quite a bit cheaper than dedicated cycling boots (which are mostly SPD anyway).
To stop water running down your leg and in the top, I'd suggest using drysuit ankle seals, with the narrow end against the skin of your leg, and the open end over the top of the boot. The wrists off marigold washing up gloves will also work.
[edit] forgot this: https://www.drysuits.co.uk/Latex_Ankle_Seals_p/seal-latex-ankle-ac1.htm

If you are interested in warm feet, don't go for a tight fit, but leave plenty of sock space.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Spiked pedals will eat the soles of most non cycling shoes. You could consider the MTB type shoes or builders boots. The latter are very good at keeping water and cold out - though you won't win any fashion points

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes they will get chewed.

I have tried all sorts of things to keep my feet wrm and dryish. The best thing without a doubt for clipless are winter boots, boot covers and marino socks.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
And if you want to minimise wet feet - full mudguards with long flaps.
A front flap needs to be quite wide (as in 15cm/6"), as well as long, if it's to keep your feet dry.
I use one of these, cut as per the blue line
mudflap.jpg (clicky)

disc_trucker.jpg

What hits the feet is water that's splashed sideways out of the puddles, rather than the water that's picked up off the road and spun off the middle of the tyre, to be dealt with by the mudguard.

Last edited:
A front flap needs to be quite wide (as in 15cm/6"), as well as long, if it's to keep your feet dry.
I use one of these, cut as per the blue line
View attachment 616334 (clicky)

View attachment 616333

What hits the feet is water that's splashed sideways out of the puddles, rather than the water that's picked up off the road and spun off the middle of the tyre, to be dealt with by the mudguard.
If not too daft a question, one about the rear extension. Is that basically for the benefit of anyone riding really close behind you?

I've got one of these on my rear mudguard. Nice flaps and easy to fit.

https://rawmudflap.uk/

OP
OP
J

Jnow

Regular
Thanks for the replies. If I were a handy inventor-type guy I’d seize the opportunity to design an overshoe like an old-fashioned spat. It’d be helpful on tour (and look like Fred Astaire)

MachersMan

I wear merino socks under Sealskinz waterproof socks and Bestard canyoneering guide boots. Warm dry feet even in the Scottish hills in January. It's an expensive solution but I use the set up for multi purposes like wet and dry wading, rock hopping and walking my dogs in wet terrain.

Top Bottom