Flats and cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tankengine

Hi guys,

What are the best shoes to wear with flat pedals? I've used just trainers in the past, but time to buy a new pair as the current ones are falling apart. Is there any point in looking at (are there even any?) cycling specific shoes for flats, or just go for normal trainers again?

Drago

Legendary Member
There are plenty of non-spd flat pedal cycling shoes. Browse Wiggle or Evans.

Ganymede

Veteran
I've recently started wearing a pair of ankle boots which I bought for walking in ice and snow. They grip the pedals really well but they are a bit of a pain in muddy Kent, especially if you also have a gravel drive...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Some of the Specialized cycling shoes come with a portion of sole that needs to be cut out with a craft knife in order to fit the cleats, just leave it in.

andyfraser

Über Member
I've lived in Karrimor walking boots and shoes for years. I use the waterproof ankle boots in winter and the shoes for the rest of the year. They grip the pedals well and are comfortable and hard wearing for walking. They're also half the cost of the cheaper Five Tens!

vickster

Legendary Member
I tried using specialized Sonoma with flat pedals, smooth sole. etc. didn't work at all, slippy and I kept getting cramp. They now have cleats on! In general, don't buy SPD shoes and just expect to leave the cleat cover on because it's slippy.

I have these.

image.jpg

With cleats for use with my SPD pedals, take the cleats off, and they are good for flats.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I believe the Five Ten brand come out very well in reviews for good grip on the pedals. There is also the Teva Links and I think Shimano do one too if I remember correctly.
Teva Links are great shoes. I've went back to flats on MTB for a while :smile:

SPD shoes on flats are not such a great idea in my experience, both of my SPD pairs without cleats fixed are trecherous on MTB flats...

Top Bottom