Flatter rides around the Alpe d' Huez area.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

The good lady has started talking about our annual holiday for 2017, and seems to be looking at places in the French Alps. With a little gentle prodding from me we're now focusing on the Alpe d' Huez area.

Although I relish a challenge climbing the mountains on my bike, the Mrs is not quite so keen on the relentless uphill stuff. So, any of you guys who have cycled in this area........is there some good quality routes or rides at lower level that are primarily on the flat?

We'd also be interested to know of any rivers where we could potentially hire kayaks etc for a day or so, if this kind of thing is available.

We're aiming towards the last two weeks of August.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice or personal experiences you may be able to share.

No, not that i can think of. The main road in the valley is flat to allemond but not really attractive. If she doesn't mind a 'bit' of climbing then valley to allemond then climb to balcony road back to Huez and descend is a reasonable ride. Equally riding first few hairpins of the alp then taking a right to take the balcony road to base of sarrene climb but turning right to descend back to valley floor is a nice route. Neither are realy suitable for a nervous rider though as roads are v narrow and the drop offs sheer '00's feet with little or no barrier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

No, not that i can think of. The main road in the valley is flat to allemond but not really attractive. If she doesn't mind a 'bit' of climbing then valley to allemond then climb to balcony road back to Huez and descend is a reasonable ride. Equally riding first few hairpins of the alp then taking a right to take the balcony road to base of sarrene climb but turning right to descend back to valley floor is a nice route. Neither are realy suitable for a nervous rider though as roads are v narrow and the drop offs sheer '00's feet with little or no barrier.
Thanks for the tips.

As I sit here, I can almost hear the Mrs screaming in terror at the route you described with the sheer drops! Sounds great to me though!

Thanks for the tips.

As I sit here, I can almost hear the Mrs screaming in terror at the route you described with the sheer drops! Sounds great to me though!
This video gives you some idea of the roads and drops :smile: The first and last couple of minutes are the relevant ones to the routes I mentioned. The full route on the vid is a cracking ride and well worth the effort.

Top Bottom