Flexing wheel rim / carbon forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John_c

A query for the masses please which has got me baffled?
I've just changed bikes from my old 24sp Giant Defy 3.5 ali frame fitted with a set of Mavic Aksium wheels, to a new Ribble Evo Pro Carbon with a set of the same type of wheels, only newer. Groupset is immaterial in terms of my query. Both frames are similar in size Defy is Med, and Ribble is 52cm.

Well my issue is when I'm out of the saddle (new bike) to power up a hill or small incline and rocking side to side, (When I say rocking, I mean a max of a about 6-8" either side of centre, so not massive). Well under this movement its as if the front wheel is giving under the load, arching almost. Yet I never had any such give /movement on my old bike?

The new Mavic wheel is running true, with no play on the hub and there's no obvious flexing in the carbon forks?

I've done a simple side stress test on both bikes, by putting my thumbs on the fork and my fingers over the rim and gently squeezing them together, to see how much give there is from the rim? On the new carbon, and Mavic rims with little pressure the rim seems to give towards the fork quite easily. When I repeat the same test on the old Defy theres no where near the same give???

I've come to the less than scientific conclusion that its either to much play on the front wheel spokes, in comparison to my old Mavic's or its a feature of the carbon forks?

Can anyone offer any more experienced suggestion please?

Thanks in advance.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Have you tried swapping the wheels? Can you see any flex in the forks when you squeeze?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Probably just slacker spokes. Try squeezing pairs of spokes on old and new wheels to see if there's a noticeable difference. Should be easy enough to tighten them up a little.

Top Bottom