flipping 3 speed making a monkey of me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robsa

Über Member
Hi fellas, been slowly over the past 5 month tinkering with an old rudge I got of ebay (£20) .
Stripped and re greased the bottom bracket, ok got a mushroom cotter pin but eventually got the sod out. Now, I'm fancying removing the sprocket off the sturmey dyno hub(dated Feb 1950), one its got snaggle teeth and two I live in Derbyshire,which isn't exactly flat so was going to bung a 22 tooth on. So, being the conscientious sort ive done the research.
Pop off a circlip and bobs your uncle.
Off with the wheel (pain in the arse with rod brakes) and hey presto....... No bloody circlip!

Any ideas?
I really don't want to strip it down because as my dad taught me ' if it int brok dunna fix it'
Is there a reliable sturmey mechanic within 20 mile of chesterfield? All the lbs ive been too look at me with fear and loathing as soon as I mention its a Sa hub.
Thanks for any info gang

I think they are held on ,one of two ways , with the clip you already mentioned or screwed on

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Thanks for the replies fellas,
Now I'm going to sound like a total one amp but how do I unscrew the sprocket?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you fancy a day trip by train to Leicester then there is a shop about 300 yards from the train station called Bob Warner Cycles, its a one man operation run by a fella called John (only place he's ever worked and he is over pensionable age) I would bet that he would have in stock the replacement or know where to source one and its well worth visiting the shop, it hasn't changed in the past 30 years to my knowledge.
If you need any other bits he has some 'interesting' NOS spares like the pair of aluminium and steel 'wingnuts' for the front wheel that I fitted to one of my bikes, when I asked "how much" he replied "Well they've been in stock for 50 years to my knowledge and I'm fed up stocktaking them every year, take them" :biggrin: But then I have been a customer for over 30 years.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Top Bottom