Flooding in Greenock today, and how NOT to drive through it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As forecast, but it came as a surprise to some of the local drivers, of course. Flooding on the main A78 road through Greenock. At the end of the clip, a previously indestructible Audi (??) driver tries to be smart and ends with a car heading for the scrappy, probably (if water went into the air intake).
Hope the link works, but it's a FB link sent me on Whatsapp, and I'm not on FB...
LINK.

tyred

Legendary Member
I know someone who did that to a Citroën Xantia. A bent connecting rod makes the engine idle a bit rough to put it mildly.

Ripple

Veteran
I witnessed similar situation 2 years ago. I went into the flooding veeeery slow while a car behind me drove into the water too fast. Next thing I saw in the rear view mirror was that car stopping right in the middle of the flooding. Oops.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's amazing really that it did so well.

I remember Ford Cortinas cut out at the slightest hint of a puddle as they soaked the coil.

There is a great one doing the rounds now of a supermini driving into a flood, then floating forwards for a few seconds, then the wheels find tarmac again and he/she just drives straight out the other side, as a white-van man stares on, too scared to try the same trick
:laugh:

presta

Guru
There was a priceless one on twitter a week or two ago. A car gingerly approaches a flood, has second thoughts, and starts to do a three-point turn. Meanwhile the car behind honks furiously at him, races past, ploughs into the flood, then gracefully floats off into the middle of the pond. The cameraman summed it up: "What a knobhead".

EVs would handle that no bother.

Reactions: gbb

Sharky

Guru
A long time ago, I had a little Triumph Spitfire, which was prone to damp conditions. One day driving to work, the road was flooded, just before a little hump back bridge. I gingerly tried to drive through, but it conked out. But, I kept it in gear and turned the ignition and the starter motor was strong enough to get the car across and out of the flooded section. Waited 10 mins or so and tried to start it again - with success and carried onto work.

Baldy

Über Member
It was like that in Glasgow at rush hour on the M8, total mayhem. But then I've only lived up here 19 years and it always floods in the same place when it rains. You'd think they could have done something about it by now.

It was like that in Glasgow at rush hour on the M8, total mayhem. But then I've only lived up here 19 years and it always floods in the same place when it rains. You'd think they could have done something about it by now.

They could put some extra well designed drains in, like this....:okay:

1628278217104.png

Top Bottom