Flower id

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Ganymede is spot on there.
During the 2nd world war Mrs Daves grandad was a market gardener in the Tamar valley and he'd grow these. He would pick a load daily, stick them in a suitcase and send them up to London on the train from Plymouth where they'd adorn the big posh houses.

A nice little earner during the war!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Blimey it is out of season and from a bulb . Must have been the doings of a crafty squirrel .

winjim

Smash the cistern
One would have thought that the desire to appear out of season would have been moderated by the ego and super-ego, so it appears that the behaviour of this flower is indeed dominated by the id.

Ganymede

Veteran
My mother and I compete gently with each other in growing these. It is that time of year when you sometimes get a random extra bloom on something - I had a Welsh poppy (the yellow kind) come out last week too.

@Dave 123 - these are the most fab cut flowers. Nice scheme of grandad-in-law! My mum-in-law was given a little strip of land in the war by her farmer dad, and she grew wallflowers, bunched them up in October and took them round the district with her milk round (a churn on a cart!). She made a killing as most people were not thinking about growing flowers, and there's nothing like wallflowers planted in the autumn to give you a bit of optimism about the Spring. Canny woman, my MiL.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My mother and I compete gently with each other in growing these. It is that time of year when you sometimes get a random extra bloom on something - I had a Welsh poppy (the yellow kind) come out last week too.

@Dave 123 - these are the most fab cut flowers. Nice scheme of grandad-in-law! My mum-in-law was given a little strip of land in the war by her farmer dad, and she grew wallflowers, bunched them up in October and took them round the district with her milk round (a churn on a cart!). She made a killing as most people were not thinking about growing flowers, and there's nothing like wallflowers planted in the autumn to give you a bit of optimism about the Spring. Canny woman, my MiL.

There was obviously a thriving flower black market!

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
A pink one?
No, it is magenta.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That ones dead now . What about this one ?
image.jpeg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Im not that good on plants as i usually dig them up..but id say ornamental cabbage too.

lots of late bloom this year..

Top Bottom