Flu like symptoms (the day after a long ride).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
less than a litre of fluid on a 7 hour ride - seems like you was dehydrated to me

Grizzly

If your pee was dark then dehydration certainly sounds like a source of some problems. Look up rhabdomyolysis and hyponatremia, just make sure that you consume a balanced diet when exercising at greater than usual levels.

ushills

Veteran
less than a litre of fluid on a 7 hour ride - seems like you was dehydrated to me
+1, one litre is nowhere near enough, I get through 1l for an hour I can reduce that to 0.5l per hour if not really going for it, which a sedate 7 hours woud imply but you need 3-4l for that duration/distance.

I'm bad for not drinking enough, especially at this time of year. What does help a bit is prehydrating, sipping a pint or two of diluted juice before I set off and having some energy powder in my bottle (I find Torq is good) and I usually finish that off when I get home (its a good recovery drink) and drink more pints of diluted juice. Eating too is important if you are going any distance; on a sportive or a solo 100+ miler I like to have a banana/cereal bar every 20-25 miles whether I need it or not.

If your pee was dark then dehydration certainly sounds like a source of some problems. Look up rhabdomyolysis and hyponatremia, just make sure that you consume a balanced diet when exercising at greater than usual levels.

Now you're just trying to scare me. :eek:

I'm putting the whole epsiode down to plain old dehydration, which is surprising because the
weather only made 5 degrees when i was out on saturday.

Plenty of people with good knowledge on this forum though. :thumbsup:

ushills

Veteran
+1 on Hyponatremia, make sure you drink an electrolyte not just water or squash. Headaches while drinking plenty of fluids and exercising are a good sign that your salt levels are getting low.

Or eat a back of ready salted crisps^_^

Grizzly

Now you're just trying to scare me. :eek:

I'm putting the whole epsiode down to plain old dehydration, which is surprising because the
weather only made 5 degrees when i was out on saturday.

Plenty of people with good knowledge on this forum though. :thumbsup:

Sorry I wasn't trying to scare you. I help out with the West Highland Way Race every year and I often see these conditions in people, mostly the symptoms are mild and relatively easy to deal with. Here is a wee article on the subject, although this is written for/about ultra runners anyone pushing themselves hard without proper fluid management will suffer these symptoms to some degree. As I said originally though, dehydration is probably your main issue but if you don't replace sweat with a drink that has sodium in it you'll will probably feel unwell.

P.S. I also eat bananas for their high potassium levels, both sodium and potassium are needed for the muscles to work.

CapsCyclists

Did an 85 miler yesterday in a leisurely 7hours and arrived home with energy to spare.
(Pushing towards the 100 milers).

Today i have been totally "seized" for want of a better word.
Symptoms today:

Shivers
Fast resting heart rate
Excessive thirst
Legs clicking and popping like bubblewrap
Legs getting really tired by lunchtime

The thing is, i always feel down the day after a 50+ miler.

Would a recovery ride this morning have helped, or have i just "overdone it".

I'm 5'6" weighing 200 pounds and tend to do no more than 30-40 miles on each training ride.

Believe it or not but a great recovery drink after long work outs is chocolate milk. It has protein that you need for you muscle and the sugar help your body keep going plus whatever else it has that's good for you. Mostly likely you over did it since your not used to riding that distance. If your lactose intolerant you can try RegEn, which is a lactose free drink that is like chocolate milk.. it's just a little expensive.

400bhp

Guru
I'm not too goot at taking on fluids and often suffer from headaches after rides of more than 50 miles.

It sounds like dehydration and your body not used to such a long ride.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I agree with the lack of fluids on your ride, 85 in 7 is pushing it. When you get back home, I would eat & drink within two hours, preferably one, to replenish that which your body has used. The one to two hour window after hard exercise is the secret. you'll still know it the following day, but nothing like what you described.

lulubel

Über Member
Definitely dehydration.

I generally drink 500ml an hour, although I realised towards the end of today's ride that I'd barely had half that, and have been making a point of rehydrating since I've been home.

I'd recommend doubling the amount you drink during your ride, if that's all you can face, then drink 500ml every hour when you get back until your wee is straw coloured. It doesn't have to be water. Squash, fizzy drinks, even tea or coffee will help - the fluid in tea and coffee outweighs the dehydrating effect from caffeine being a diuretic. If you're eating plenty, I can't imagine you'd need to add electrolytes to your water at this time of year. I don't (although I use them religiously in summer), and it's still a lot warmer here than in the UK.

boydj

Legendary Member
Even when it is very cold and you don't seem to be sweating a lot, you are losing a lot of vapour in your breath, so it is important to keep the fluid intake going - which can be difficult when your bottle is freezing up.

I find, though, that rehydrating can be difficult if you are dehydrated because your stomach is usually rebelling. + 1 on chocolate milk as a good start until any queasiness subsides.

Top Bottom