Flu-like symptoms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've recently been making a big effort to get into a regular (3 times a week) commute to work.

For those who dont know me ( Hi...I rarely post in HF&T), I ride around 40 miles in a day (20 each way) through outer, inner and then outer London...again...before getting to my office.

Before Xmas (Sept Oct) I was riding at my regular rate, but over Xmas (Nov, Dec, Jan), what with turkey, Snow, Ice, Holidays and January ski breaks, I was down to one ride a week.

Over the last two weeks, I've been riding to and from work at least 3 times (last week, I completed 4 rides in and 3 home!).

but...

Each weekend, on my rest days, I am experiencing what I can only describe as the flu'. I literally ache all over, not just muscle ache but joint, head, eyes, teeth...even my hair!!

I want to fall asleep all day and when I sit in one position for more than an few minutes I struggle to get up.

This has never happened before, I've always felt fantastic on my rest days and all the better for the exercise...but this last two weeks has been awful....on my rest days. During the week I am fine (apart from obvious muscle burning) and on the Monday I feel as fit as a fiddle and ready for another weeks riding.

I wonder if this is common with any other riders, or If I am doing something differently from how I rode before Xmas.

Admittedly its been a few months since I rode the full 120 mile a week, but I've never experienced these "down" rest days before

any observations/help?

Thanks

Jonny

bottombracket

Difficult one JJ. A 120 mile commute week would be too much for me but maybe not for you. Could be overdoing it, could be a virus, definitely worth a visit to your GP as it sounds odd and maybe you've developed something, even an allergy.

From a personal perspective, I know there are times when I've just had to stop for a while to get over things, tiredness, stress, illness etc..

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
bottombracket said:

Thanks BB...I have all the symptoms on the list (except the last..."a compulsive need to excercise" as I just cant.

It only lasts a day (or two at most) then I fell pretty fantastic, as I did on Monday.

I rode in today and totally enjoyed it, felt really strong and was fighting fit.

Perhaps I need to decrease the amount of times I come in for a week or so untill my fitness catches up.

Thanks

Crackle said:
could be a virus, definitely worth a visit to your GP as it sounds odd and maybe you've developed something, even an allergy.

From a personal perspective, I know there are times when I've just had to stop for a while to get over things, tiredness, stress, illness etc..

I'm convinced its not a virus (although at the time I am convinced of the opposite and think I have flu) but the next day, or the day after I feel really fit and am looking forward to riding again.

Being a typical bloke, I think I'll avoid the GP and try to just reduce my effort a little over the next week or so.

Thanks Crackle

Brahan

Über Member
Hey jonny, just see your GP. I went to see mine last year regarding my heart rate and there was a HUGE weight off my mind when he told me there was nothing to worry about. The mind and body work in weird and wonderful ways and silly as it may sound, my 'heart issue' suddenly vanished the day the doc said that I was fine.

TBH you can read whatever you want on this website, but for peace of mind you need to take an hour out of your day, bite the bullet and see your doc - it's what they're there for remember. :biggrin:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Brahan said:
Hey jonny, just see your GP. I went to see mine last year regarding my heart rate and there was a HUGE weight off my mind when he told me there was nothing to worry about. The mind and body work in weird and wonderful ways and silly as it may sound, my 'heart issue' suddenly vanished the day the doc said that I was fine.

TBH you can read whatever you want on this website, but for peace of mind you need to take an hour out of your day, bite the bullet and see your doc - it's what they're there for remember. :biggrin:

fair point...guess I should really, just to be sure.

Brahan

Über Member
jonny jeez said:
fair point...guess I should really, just to be sure.

Yeah, what's the worst that can happen.......?

*sh1t, now I've said it...:laugh:

bikermaze

I haven't experienced this yet and hopefully not. You might have some kind of flu but just ask a doctor to make sure.

Top Bottom