Fly Fishing - This Plan Might Just Have Wheels!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
When I were lad, and again a few years back when I was car-less during the 2008 financial shenanigans, I used to tie my fishing rod to my cross bar, and go fishing by bike. But even when I tried it with spinning gear (i.e. small rods, no bait) it was still a lot of tackle to take.

Just bought a short fly rod on account of I've just joined a club that has a five miles of a narrow river that has some trout in it. Wow, that's a tiny and light rod, and it easily fits on the carrier of my bike. What with fly nets being small, too, I think this might finally be a way of combing the two passions.

I often cycle the lanes that lead to this river and many's the time I've looked over bridges and banks and thought I wouldn't mind an hour down there.

This may just work out nicely. Once I've figured out how to fly fish, of course.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Don't forget your rod licence

OP
OP
delb0y

delb0y

Legendary Member
I have one of those numbnets. I go fishing regularly, just not fly-fishing by bike, and as there's no salmon or sea-trout where I'm planning to go the existing coarse licence covers me.

Hah!

Back in the days when I was a broke student (early / mid 1990s), I used to go fishing by bike. Rod, net handle and rod rest tied to crossbar, net, bait bucket and folding stool bungeed to rack and the rest in a large backpack.

It was do-able, but not the most wieldy load, I'll admit... And a 14 mile round trip...

gbb

Legendary Member
As a slight aside, a few years ago I used to play golf with some friends, the course took us alongside some trout lakes near Pboro. As we walked along a guy in a small boat had just hooked Into one. It fought, his rod bent and wavered, it fought some more, this went on for a minute or so....and he pulled out a trout....oooh, maybe 10 inches in length :laugh:...buggers cant half fight for a not very big fish :boxing:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Good find, Heltor! Thank you. Oregon certainly looks rather nice!
I've fly fished in Oregon and Montana with my American Fishing Buddy. I could (almost) turn me away from saltwater stuff :smile:

Top Bottom