Flying nuts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merida

Just a small incident coming to you fresh off the bike. I was riding down my local road after just having beasted a 10 mile route through Weybidge, Addlestone and down into Cobham, when an angry and rather rude motorist (white van driver :/) not only beeped his horn at me in a tight country lane where I had no space to manoeuvre, but also whilst passing me attempted to occupy my space on the road forcing me to brake. Incredibly riled by this turn of events I did the usual (and stupid) response of pursuing him as fast I was able. Eventually i caught him on a small bridge on Blundel road and on the descent as I whizzed past his passenger window I casually flicked the V's. Now I know this is wrong, I should not rise to idiotic motorists, but my sense of injustice and the fierce sensation of revenge burned through me and I could not resist. However I truly believe that Karma raised its unfortunate head at that very moment as in the middle of my victory demonstration, a small acorn fell out of one of the trees above me bounced of the road and hit me square in the eye! Being hit in the eye by a nut at 30-35 mph is unpleasant I can assure you and I plan to invest in a pair of sunglasses as soon as possible, but what stings more than my bruised eyeball, is the terrible embarrassment as the man I had attempted to 'get on up on' witnessed the entire event and burst into laughter. I am not sure weather the moral of the story is to wear sunglasses, not swear at drivers, or avoid oak trees at all costs, but i will be sure to be more careful next time :smile:

Disclaimer: I am in no way being detrimental to white van drivers, my father is a typical white van driver and he knows his driving is awful as do the rest of them.

superbadger

Über Member
Well you did the same as i did when a scaffold truck nearly hit me 2 months ago.... I was fuming :angry: and in hot pursuit but had no chance of catching him since he was hammering down the A17!!!! Shades are a must... Got a fly in my eye last week (it was getting dark so took them off!) I nearly lost control and it kept watering afterwards too :sad:. The GF always says 'Why are you wearing shades when its dull?'.... To save my life hun is my reply.... plus i look :becool:

Willo

+1 on the glasses coming from someone who's never liked wearing them. A) I was recently diagnosed with UV damage behind the eyes, so a general warning of the importance whatever the activity but particularly when out on the road for hours at a time and b) have had a few incidents where gravel etc. has been thrown up by passing traffic that came close enough to make me see sense. I generally always wear a pair now (clear lenses when its a bit murky) although do lapse on occassion particularly in the rain when the risk from not being able to see oubt outweighs the eye protection risks!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nice story well written.

I wear specs - but an acorn at speed would probably do them no good at all !

Top Bottom