Flying Pigeon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Probably need the advice of @growingvegetables here, but probably others too.

I'm off to China again shortly, and was considering bringing back an old-school Flying Pigeon (PA-02 or maybe a PA-06). Not for regular commuting, or for weekend rides in the countryside, but as in icon of Communist China - a relic that I think is currently un-loved, as the population head as fast as possible for cars, motorbikes, e-transport or at the very worst, better bikes.

I'll probably look for something second-hand, and should have enough baggage allowance to take it back on the plane.

But, reading some articles, the suggestion is that without a very skilled cycle mechanic behind me, and a protection crew around me in case of incidents, that riding one is a very bad idea indeed.

But do I want to ride it, or just have it as a curio? Probably much more the latter.

Am I daft?

Drago

Legendary Member
I can totally dig you wanting one as a curio. I'd also be unafraid to ride it - machines don't get much simpler than a bicycle, so a thorough going over prior to use should see you right.

Reactions: mjr
But, reading some articles, the suggestion is that without a very skilled cycle mechanic behind me, and a protection crew around me in case of incidents, that riding one is a very bad idea indeed.
:eek:

HTH - but it's 40 years since I rode one. Back in those days, I was no stranger to big old frames, rod brakes and steel rims; many of my generation had their parents' roadsters hidden away in the garage, and had ridden them. They were never, and will never be, equal to modern braking systems (that's ANYTHING in the last 70 years :smile:! Ooo-err!]. So - you ride with a little circumspection?

Tough and dependable? Definitely - the bikes I rode "belonged to" a VSO flat. They'd been ridden by 5, maybe 6 previous VSOs. They had been bought second-hand, so Lord only knows how many previous owners/miles. They had NOT been lovingly maintained. Yet those bikes just carried on, faithfully impervious to neglect and rough usage. Comfortable - yes. Slow - definitely. Heavy - very. Go anywhere - yup; we took them way off the roads onto tracks, paths, and into the edges of the desert.

Ridable - definitely. A pleasure to ride? It is a different riding experience. Perhaps not even riding, so much as "processing regally along the road". Damn - you've surprised me; I didn't expect to feel quite so nostalgic for the experience. :blink: I say go for it, ride it, and love it :smile:

Am I daft?
Completely. Incurably. So what? Enjoy!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ridable - definitely. A pleasure to ride? It is a different riding experience. Perhaps not even riding, so much as "processing regally along the road".
That's riding, isn't it? I sometimes feel that non-roadster bikes feel much more like pushing or driving the bike forwards than simply riding something.

Damn - you've surprised me; I didn't expect to feel quite so nostalgic for the experience. :blink: I say go for it, ride it, and love it :smile:
Maybe someone would bring a second one back if you ask nicely and offer to pay the costs? :laugh:

:eek: Rats!

Ah - "out of production", "out of stock" ------ except for all sorts of essential spares. :laugh: Yup, @BrumJim - you are doomed! It has been decided for you - go for it! :tongue:

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Sadly I have had to change flights due to a movement in a meeting date. And due to the cost of re-booking the flight (cheap price no longer available), I have had to come back on Economy class, which means only one hold baggage. So given the choice between coming back with my clothes, washkit and presents for the family, and coming back with a flying pigeon,.......

Hold on - Might be leaving my clothes behind.:wacko:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Sadly I have had to change flights due to a movement in a meeting date. And due to the cost of re-booking the flight (cheap price no longer available), I have had to come back on Economy class, which means only one hold baggage. So given the choice between coming back with my clothes, washkit and presents for the family, and coming back with a flying pigeon,.......

Hold on - Might be leaving my clothes behind.:wacko:

You probably only have a 20 KG limit - does that mean you will bring back just one wheel?

Top Bottom