Flying with a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thinking about doing a late tour in southern Italy, flying into Brindisi, but then I suddenly thought how do you actually go about it? You need to pack the bike in a box to get it there, then what do you do with the box? And how about the flight home? Has anyone done this? Any handy hints and tips very much appreciated.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Ditch the box when you get there and keep a bike shop handy for the return leg.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There will have been a lot of discussion about this in T&E.
There are a lot of different ways. Bike box from a local shop, CTC bag, bike bag left at a hotel or left luggage etc etc

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Cheapest way is free bike box from shop, pack bike in box, remove front wheel, saddle stem if you're tall, turn handle bars round, remove pedals, put everything in box.

You may wish to use some extra cardboard in places to stop things rubbing inside the box, wrap pedals in bubble wrap. Use strong gaffa / duct tape to seal box.

On arrival find somewhere quietish to unpack, and leave the box near a rubbish bin, inside a recycling bin if you can find one.

On return see if you can find another box and repeat.

Enjoy your trip.

AndyRM

XOXO
download.jpg

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've done it both ways but decided it's better to save yourself the hassle of transporting your bike and to hire one when you get there. I took my own to Gran Canaria in Feb, hired one in Majorca last month and after doing both, I'll be hiring in Cyprus this time round.

Top Bottom