Flying with bikes to Vietnam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jorgemartin

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I don't seem to be able to find any information... I'm planning a cycling trip to Vietnam and would be very grateful if anyone had any information to share about what the most carrier friendly might be or what would be most inexpensive option. Any tips? Many thanks and happy new year!

tjsc1

Hi Jorge......no tips but good luck!!

Depends what part of the country you want to start from, Most major carriers fly there, but some fly direct BA for one, others will require you to change planes at there hub.
As I have my 2nd home and my 2nd bike in Malaysia I always fly to KL vis Emirates, then use Airasia for onward cheap flight from KL.

Air asia consider a bicycle like sport equipment. But only until 15kgs. Extra kilos you will pay like extra weight. The important thing is how the tell you to put the bike inside the plane. DONT NEED A BOX!!!!! Just turn handle bars, remove or just packed (to prevent damage) the pedals, wrapped the gears to protect them and deflated the tyres just like it used to be.

Airasia, sell extra wieght up to 32KGs.

Vietnam is interesting to say the least, but traffice can be manic, I just shut my eyes and hope..lol

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

Thanks for your replies. I've decided to fly with Singapore Airlines. Bikes are free up to 20 kgs. 7 kgs of hand luggage allowed. We're hoping to work with these constraints. Each additional kg over 20 is prohibitively expensive! We're also hoping to use smaller roads and avoid the manic bits.

Thanks for your replies. I've decided to fly with Singapore Airlines. Bikes are free up to 20 kgs. 7 kgs of hand luggage allowed. We're hoping to work with these constraints. Each additional kg over 20 is prohibitively expensive! We're also hoping to use smaller roads and avoid the manic bits.

I found that money wise you get a better deal on the black market, which is often the only way to get money exchanged, but just make sure you get a good deal. Also you will find it easier if you refreash your french, as I found away from the main crowd, often the older people spoke french.

Its great country, and I found the people so friendly.
If you are heading for Hanoi area a visit to the river caves at Tom Coc is ok

If you have a long turn round time in Changi airport, then they do a free coach tour of the city while you wait.

Also if you are planning a short stop over in Singapore, there is a small problem regarding cycle access to the airport, as the road outside the airport is a normal road Airport Blvd, but after awhile it becomes a Expressway for aprox. one Kilometer to the Tanah Merah Junction where you can leave to pick up Xilin road. they really like you to Put the bike into a van taxi as you are not allowed to cycle on an expressway, but I normally act innocent and cycle like mad along the hard shoulder to the Junction., only been stopped once now, and got a gentle bollocking by the policeman.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Air America will drop you off .......... but you will have to jump out of the back of a C123 Provider under small arms fire :biggrin:

Sounds like a brilliant trip,it is a place i would love to visit,especially the war related stuff.Good luck with it and post pictures....PLEASE !

Top Bottom