Flying with folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyreon

I've often flown with standard bikes and feared that they might get damaged in flight or loading. Turns out to be they haven't and my mode of packing has only been some bubble wrap,polyethylene or some plumbers foam tubing. Thank you(much belittled?)luggage handlers.

On tour, when and if I want to climb aboard a bus or a train with a standard bike,I've often incurred feelings of dread or worry cos...will the bus or train accept my cargo? will it fit? what's the rules? what if I can't get on? what happens next.... And so 've somehow ended up with a folder...again.

So,what's the worry this time? (Get a grip!) Well,presenting my standard bike to airports reception,they can see the wrapped bike(they give me the standard warnings over packaging),and,I guess,those baggage guys sorta respect the machinery for what it is;and its size. Now with a wrapped folder I wonder whether Joe might say to Harry 'over 'ere mate' with a view to hoisting/throwing/pushing/swinging my folder up/down/across spaces with a nonchalance my standard bike has not(up to date)received.

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't be worried placing the folder on a bus or a train. I would be doing that!

And your experience or readings say...?

Just ruminations. But maybe thinking of flying to northern Spain next year. No. I will not be trying the train.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s all down to the baggage handlers on the day. If you’re worried you could probably find a suitcase that it would fit in.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Folder depending there are flight cases/bags etc. available offering differing levels of protection. Suitcases can be found to fit too.
I have a Brompton specific case and just check it in as a regular suitcase.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
If you're flying long-haul business class, then you can take it on board. Semi-officially: tell check-in you want to gate-check it, then slip the tag off when past Security and walk in nonchalantly. Short-haul, the overhead lockers aren't big enough.

Non-business, then you have to check it. I use a B&W Foldon box, to which I've added upholstery foam. Wrap an old t-shirt around the saddle to prevent scratching, and remove the hinge-clamps. Then put it through the Fragile channel to avoid the conveyer belts. As a bonus, this means it's usually in the baggage hall before everything else.

http://bike-cases.co.uk/downloads/BW_foldon_box_flyer.pdf

mustang1

Guru
I take my brompton in a brompton bag. Inside the bag I put cardboard around the bike and have it dropped off at the fragile items/bulky cargo section.

It's always come out the other end fine. Some people on this forum even use an IKEA dimple bag.

OP
OP
T

tyreon

A cycle case that's hard...so where does that go at the other end?

I can understand the additional protection it offers

Maybe back to foam plumbers piping. And prayers.

Still,thanks baggage holders. Respect. No damage so far. Only had a plastic mattress cover go missing so far

Top Bottom