FNRttC FNRttC London to Bognor 6 April 2023- ride report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Note for pedants: yes, this was a Thursday night, due to the bank holiday. But this meant that we were actually riding on Friday for once. And while I'm at it, this also includes a report about my ride to the ride. So there.

This was scheduled to be the second FNR of the year, but with Southend being cancelled it became the opener. The first to Bognor since the legendary/notorious rain and mud fest of the 2018 edition (the idea among the leadership collective is to keep the core favourites annual, and rotate the others) and I for one have missed it. It's one of my favourites, and not just because my failed efforts to get a ride to Southsea make it my 'home ride', this sofa being a mere 25 miles along roads I know so well the Strava heatmap is a very deep orange. It's a great route, even with Bury Hill (aargh!) or the Gurkha Bridge alternative (bah!). And the Lobster Pot at Felpham is an exceedingly fine breakfast spot (both in culinary and geographical terms).

And I had the week off, which means that, as so often in the past, I was inclined to make the entire journey to London and back self-powered.
'You didn't?'
'Yeah, I did'.
And I did.

First time I did this was back in 2011, and the trip north was in a small but powerful peloton led by Hummers. 75.42 miles to Victoria in 5:06 rolling (and the terrain is rolling as well). I did say powerful…I don't stand a hope in hell of ever managing that pace on my own, not just because of ageing, I'd rather go a bit slower than I could and feel I've got it in the tank than push myself too hard, and I had more gear anyway (after last year's trauma, no way I'm leaving a bike unattended without an insurer-approved D-lock). But 12 mph average is more than doable, and I pretty much did that on the way up, 11.9 mph as it turned out, even with all-too-likely issues, for which I had allowed more than enough time. And were there issues? Need you ask? But they were thankfully relatively minor. Worst cases- i.e. ride-ending mechanical, apocalyptic weather, pace lacking or mojo going AWOL- are much less of an issue when you're going near every station on the Portsmouth-Guildford stretch of line, and after that, Esher, Surbiton, KOT…but I skipped those.

Off north, as per usual in this exercise, at about 1.50. Strong NE crosswind, predicted to fade with time & as I moved north. If it had been a headwind I'd have got the train. As it was, me & the mighty Tripster went 'meh' and sped along quite nicely. There was a bit of rain, but nothing much to bother with, I didn't bother with the rain trousers and both it and me dried up quick. Early pace was over 13 mph, though that started its gradual slide once The Climbing started (as I have previously noted, the South Downs are somewhat misnamed, it's the ups that are the problem). Through Havant, Rowlands Castle, rural lanes (thankfully quiet) to Buriton, and round to Petersfield Tesco for usual pause, first 18 miles done in 90 minutes or so. Twenty minutes later, nature's call answered and additional calories purchased, onwards. Heading out of town, realised there was a problem. I appeared to be stuck on the inner ring. Better than the 50t for all the climbing, but still not good. Pulled over into a layby, had a look…nothing doing. Carried on, and sometime later, did get back into the big ring, but something was certainly amiss, it was only shifting up in the middle of the cassette, and I didn't want to make do as it was. If only there was a highly regarded LBS just up the road in Liphook, right off the roundabout in the centre of town. Oh, there was :smile: Stuck my head round the door of Liphook Cycles (interior design by a hoarder, there was a thin corridor of space) and asked if they could take a look. Answer was positive. I sat on a bench opposite, had a hot cross bun, and ten minutes later it was sorted. They noticed the saddle was wonky and sorted that as well. Usual shifting performance restored, £6.95 well spent. On to Haslemere, and the really lumpy bit. Ended up walking one of the worst climbs at Brook, only the first or second time I've done that, but it was only a short but steep one so not much time lost.

On to Guildford just after six- obviously later than planned, but no rush- where I decided to try an alternative to the usual route through town and the A3 bike path. Instead, up the High Street- opted to walk, the cobbled climb did not appeal, pausing to put the lights on. Then on east, to the A25, with a few pauses to check position with Osmand on the phone. The A25 off-road option was appalling from what I saw- narrow, broken up, much worse than the (not exactly pretty) A3 one, but the road itself was fine, traffic much quieter than the A3 ever is, and good progress made. Swings and roundabouts as to which was better overall, but I think the alternative just about sneaks it. Off north towards East Clandon, and then east again to rejoin my canonical route at Ockham, didn't swing past my usual meal stop of Ripley. Bit of faffing checking route, watering plants, etc. There was a necessary deviation on the way to Cobham, Plough Lane having the temporary installation of a lake. And no, I wasn't tempted to try fording it. Thankfully, a suitable (and open) alternative was 200ft away, adding a little distance, but hardly a problem. It was now half-seven and I hadn't eaten since Liphook, so stopped at Cobham, 56 miles on the clock. Many calories consumed, lights switched on, and on I went.

Up the A307 as usual, all the way to Kingston. I got round my navigational bete noir without issues, and opted to go for the road alternatives to Richmond Park, thought it would be a bit quicker. So, Kingston Hill and the A3 shared paths it was. Not pretty, but more direct. Wandsworth and Clapham as usual, with a pause at about 9.30 at Sainsbury's Nine Elms for another meal deal & the loo. Got to Waterloo at about 10.15, ate the second meal deal, and failed to refill an empty bottle as the water fountain was off (didn't look at the one upstairs).

11-ish, I head down the bike path towards the NT. On the way down, a telltale thumping on the rear wheel. Fairy visit. Bugrit. 77 miles from home, no problem. Nine previous centuries (and a few not far short) on these tyres, no problem. I've been up and down that path hundreds of times, including Wednesday night (Henry Rollins at the Palladium), no problem. Until then. Sod's law, and why doesn't he sod off! As regulars know, I have no puncture repair skills whatsoever, but I did have everything needed- two spare tubes, levers, a decent pump, the hex key needed for the through axle, and the desire and inclination to do what I could to help myself to get going ASAP (unlike a certain someone else on the ride…). Arrived pretty much simultanously with James C and Kim, and the rest soon followed. Geoff S and @rb58 in particular were of great assistance (thanks again chaps) and we got the tyre done, though we also found a somewhat bizarre problem- the rear mech wasn't bolted to the derailleur hanger, the through axle was holding it in place (thankfully). So, wheel out and it was being held only by the cable. Ah. Not good. Attempts to sort it with one of the spare bottle cage bolts proved in vain. Multiple pairs of hands needed to get the bike in rolling order again. If I'd had that puncture on my way up it would have been ride-ending. But I didn't, and it wasn't, and neither front nor rear shifting misbehaved at all for the rest of the ride. I visited the LBS on Saturday morning, and the splendid Dainius found a suitable bolt, and tightened up a few others (I hadn't quite got the through axle absolutely tight, oops). His T-shirt was rather apt for a further mechanical later in the night, but I'll come back to that…

Having sorted that out, off we went, only slightly later than planned. Despite the now dry weather, it rapidly became apparent that this was going to be one of those all-too-frequent ones where if it can go wrong, it does. And if it can't, well, it's one of those nights when it does anyway. First indication came at Clapham Junction, where the usual natural break was somewhat lengthier than planned due to the first of multiple deflations on one particular bike. Once our TECs (Ross and Greg) had finally caught up, on we went through Tooting, Mitcham and Coulsdon before crossing Farthing Down. At the regroup on the south end, the lovely Jenny took this picture of our ride leader, when he had just received the news about yet more punctures (plural) on that offending bike. Rather fantastic shot…
340029439_571243644795619_7265569021254637144_n.jpg

And of course, given the recent weather conditions (and grot therefore spread on roads) and the number of riders- 43 or so at start, that guy wasn't the only one suffering punctures. A long night's journey into day wasn't likely, it was practically guaranteed. Really helpful given the temperatures were barely above freezing, plenty of us were suffering (though my own kit was more than up to the job). I, along with the bulk of the riders, got to our stop at Burstow just about 0345-0400. Only 25 or so miles in to a 72 mile ride, but on this night it was probably best to have it earlier. Max and the scout group gave us their usual excellent nosh and warm welcome. Titus had taken the decision to leave the tail end to catch up, and he spent some time looking out for Ross et al to join us. I think they were about 45 minutes behind us eventually. Titus's announcement of an intended 0500 departure was greeted with a short, negative response from Greg, unsurprisingly. That increasingly problematic rider was sorting, or trying to, even more punctures. This was six in total I think, three in each tyre. Ross's account read like a full house on the How to Annoy Your TECs and Fellow Riders bingo card. Tyres made of cheese. Anti-theft skewers/hex keys on both wheels, for which he had the key but the front in particular was problematic (I remember a previous encounter with those things when as a virtual TEC, the actual tail end caught back up because they took so long to deal with). With the wheels stuck in place, the only option was to try and patch the tyres on the bike. That clearly wasn't working out very well. The front eventually got a new, TEC-supplied tube. He was trying to sort those final fairy visits when Titus advised him, with admirable restraint, that Gatwick was three miles away and he was on his own from here. I'd have been tempted to go Don Logan. I imagine a blackballing has been implemented. Oh yes, Dainius's T-shirt: an emphatically unofficial Bob The Builder item. 'Can We Fix It? No It's F****d'.

We were off again at about 0510, and as we headed south trains homeward were increasingly a viable, attractive option. Given yet more punctures causing delays at the back, self, James R & @Shadow were appointed as virtual TECs, until the actual tail end had caught up sufficiently. Given our collective lack of mechanical nous, we were grateful that all we had to deal with was a bit of faffage (and in the great scheme of things as they stood, it really wasn't much of a problem). Titus had settled on Bury Hill rather than the Gurkha Bridge route, and as painful and unpleasant as that climb is, memories of the 2018 quagmire on the latter made the A29 by far the better option. Terrible surface, relentless gradient, and long, long, long. Though the view from the top is cracking. Having failed to remove a few layers and refuel a bit, I decided to give in and walk part way up, I knew I'd run out of gears before the summit. Annoying, but the size 45 was the best gear to be in. Soon after that came the in-no-way terrifying (no, it's really terrifying) crossing of the A27, before the final stretch that I could metaphorically do blindfold. ETA before the night had been 8.45-9.00. In my case, near the head of the ride, 9.45, so not too bad under the circumstances.

One large breakfast, a pot of tea, and much nattering later, time to move on. It was now just after 11. Given I already had 152 miles on the clock, fatigue and aches and pains might seem likely, In practice I felt in (much) better shape than after 98.5 miles to Brighton and back on Monday (not rounding it off to the ton says a lot). Not achy. Not tired. So, no trains would be involved. Once past the diversion on Bognor seafront due to a funfair, perfectly adequate progress was made despite a slight headwind. Briefly crossed paths with Jim again as he made his way to Goodwood, then through Chichester and along the A259 all the way to Havant. Back home at 1.30 or so, 174.94 miles on the clock. And a very sound nap shortly after. That was, on balance, a very Good Friday indeed. Thanks everyone. Except that guy, obviously…

I will be absent from Burnham (schedule clash) but back for Newhaven, I have a ferry to catch…

Saturday night saw yet another visit to Brighton, for a most splendid evening with two city residents, the Hartnoll brothers AKA Orbital. Wonder if they cycle? They're used to all-nighters and those glasses would come in handy for TECing…

IMG_20230408_215558513.jpg

Last edited:
"Virtual TEc " ?!?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Blimey - sounds suitably epic...but then Bognor being the most westerly ride, does seem to inspire additional lunacy.
In some ways riding to the start is better than riding somewhere after - the night run can be variable in terms of time on the road due to all the various issues that can occur with a large group.
Either way, it's a good number of miles and time in the saddle.
Chapeau!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Two punctures in, at Mitcham and Wallington, annoyed to be out of tubes, bereft of enthusiasm, and only four miles from home I decided I wouldn't slow an already delayed ride any longer and walked to a warm and welcoming bed. I'm glad you enjoyed the ride, Stu, and thanks for the customary excellent write up.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Two punctures in, at Mitcham and Wallington, annoyed to be out of tubes, bereft of enthusiasm, and only four miles from home I decided I wouldn't slow an already delayed ride any longer and walked to a warm and welcoming bed. I'm glad you enjoyed the ride, Stu, and thanks for the customary excellent write up.

Under those circumstances Nick, bailing definitely the best option!

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

In some ways riding to the start is better than riding somewhere after - the night run can be variable in terms of time on the road due to all the various issues that can occur with a large group.

With all the practice I've had, I concur. Brighton and Bognor have usually been ride-home-after, both dead easy and I don't have to think about routing. I've ridden back into the smoke from Southend and Whitstable for nights out (overnighting). But I wouldn't want to do 75+ hilly miles after indeterminate arrival time at breakfast. Let alone your epic five years back!

Based on the rides ending in Oxfordshire (or nearby), I also concur!

(Although my ride home from Brighton one 2007 morning was rather lovely ... if a bit of a blur ... 🙃 )

Domus

Guru
Epic Stuart, chapeau to you. However please stop all training as I fear being dropped on day one of the French adventure.
Note to all other participants. No training and lots of pies.
Give me a fighting chance..................please

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Epic Stuart, chapeau to you. However please stop all training as I fear being dropped on day one of the French adventure.
Note to all other participants. No training and lots of pies.
Give me a fighting chance..................please

It's not training, it's just riding my bike. But worry not, I do pootling as well:smile:

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Great write up, thank you @StuAff and fantastic ride :-)

I was working on Thursday so the logistics* of doing Bognor were a choice of either (i) usual 4.25am start and 3pm finish. Kip somewhere (?) for 8 hours, (ii) as above but go home and come back again (i.e. 6 hours of train travel) or (iii) late start and finish work to head over to Nat Theatre, risk here being no guarantee of secure bike parking at workplace later in the day. No way am I locking the bike up outside work.
As it turned out, overtime beckoned on Friday so that's where I was first thing.

It sounds a bit, hmm, epic with the punctures. Have been guilty of virtual TECing Stu in the past as well. I can't fix anything. Unless it can be repaired by a hard cold stare :laugh:
Looked like a lovely sunrise!
And a great gig :notworthy:

Next up am hoping to do Burnham but engineering works (most weekends atm) mean it will probably be easier** to ride onto Chelmsford, Colchester or Ipswich afterwards for a more straightforward journey home. Ipswich is roughly 50 miles. Hmmm.

*I commute 2 hours each way into London.
** the rail planner offers a 4 to 5 change journey at ~4 hours. Why not spend some of the time pedalling instead??

Chapeau Stu. Glad that navigating KuT was without incident - nothing like years of practice to attain perfection! And I now understand why you were not your usual sprightly self while we TEC'd. Chapeau.

Normally, I also file a ride report but this time it will be curtailed, like my ride - I bailed with approx 25 km to go.

The day before, checked forecasts, lowest temperature 3° and no precipitation. Usual clothing dilemmas followed. Decided against winter bibs, mainly because I find them uncomfortable and only really use them when temperature is to be lower than 3°. If only. Taped over vents on shoes, thin silk socks, knee length angora-wool socks over, 3/4 length leg warmers, warmest base layer and Fridays jacket. Full leg warmers and spring jacket as back-up - intending to put on at Burstow after refuelling.
Gentle ride to station with glowing full moon alternating between over left shoulder and then right as road meandered accordingly. Train and stations en route seemed quieter than normal. As did The Smoke. Must be because it is long weekend thursday, not standard fun friday. Now customary remembrance under Wellington Arch and wandered to Southbank. Met up with H, my friend on her first FNR, who wanted to to experience night riding as she has signed up for this year's Vatterundam.

Set off just ahead of the TECs and wondered why we stopped after only 5 km at the Shell station at Queens Circus. First puncture of the night; not a good start; a portent of what was to come. [Ride Leaders' communication days before the ride should (must?) re-iterate the importance of checking over tyres in particular before the ride.] Up to Clapham Common where we chatted and chilled in the cool air to regroup. Fortunately I found a large tree trunk to rest upon. Due to my arthritic hip, I am unable to stand for any period of time so was appreciative, as I was for a wooden bus stop seat at Hill Top Lane and a low wall at Pease Pottage. No waymarking for me then.

After about 2 hours we had only advanced to Wallington. Gizmo now reading 2°, time to put another layer on (which I was hoping to delay until Burstow), dropping to 1° soon after and before the welcoming Edifice of Burstow, falling again to just above 0°. So much for the forecasts. It was not until the regroup just after West Chiltington at 08:00 hr that it would jump to a balmy 5°. At that time, the sun was shining brilliantly, so all felt much warmer. I would like to know how accurate gizmo is.

While the TECs helped with @newfhouse's puncture, I put my other jacket on and set off to let the waymarkers know there would be another delay and to stay put. As I was riding solo I was not surprised to see two ubiquitous urban foxes dart across the road in front of me. I see a fox every time I come through here! Soon ascending Farthing Down, which never disappoints, crossing the damp cattle grid with care, the clear night allowing the sight of the many tiny dots of red lights in the distant north-east. Feeling the chill on the nervous descent south of Bletchingley and gratefully roll into The Edifice to be greeted by Max asking what has kept us!

Following a warming couple of cuppas and granola bar, pull on second leg warmers to fend off the frigid air. The night sky to the east hinted of light, the one bonus of departing late. Regrouping at Pease Pottage, Titus did not want further delays and decided to push on, so Stu, James and I became the virtual TECs. We rolled through Horsham and deep into the sussex countryside. The inky sky became a cerulean blue and the still bright moon was now dipping down in front of us as we headed south-west.

On my local roads now and aware of a potential perilous right turn at the bottom of The Hollow, a short curvy descent, across potholes and gravel strewn road, I jumped ahead of Titus to waymark the junction, imploring folk to slow down while negotiating the junction. All crossed safely, thankfully, in spite of the efforts of one aggressive white van travelling far too close to @wanda2010' s rear wheel for my liking.

The strain to reach the front finalised my decision to bail. Pushing on was not much faster than my TEC pace and I knew I was cooked. It was not so much my hip as the physical and mental draining effects of the frigidity. Disappointed not to reach the goal in my head of Bury Hill's summit, I told TItus and my friend, who seemed quite happy, in spite of everything, of her initial FNR. Minutes after seeing the peloton depart, I turned round and there were the original TECs, @rb58 and Greg, leading the stragglers to the finish. Giving Ross a little respite for all of 1 km, I led them to the next turn and bid them adieu.

Good to see friendly faces new and old, not sure if I'll make another this year, depending on when surgery happens, always glad to ride any distance with this crowd. Thanks TItus and crew.

Top Bottom