FNRttC FNRttC London to Oxford 2 September 2022. Ride report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
This one was yet another affected by rail strikes- the original date of 17 August was out, so postponed a fortnight, and run instead of the scheduled Oxford-Cambridge run (two-thirds of the 'university triangle' rides on the 2022 calendar have been canned). It was week off. Never mind I've already done a century and an eighty miler this week, I was inclined to ride up for this one, weather looked OK, so I did.

As per usual when I ride into the smoke, set off north-east just before two. Lighter winds than earlier in the week, pace started well and would stay that way. Usual route to Petersfield, usual stop at Tesco (mid-ride snackage shopping only partially successful, no cheaper doughnuts), where there were a few drops of moisture, on to Liphook about an hour later, and an extra stop at Sainsbury's (jammy empty calories acquired). On through Haslemere (the lumpy bit), Godalming, Guildford, and the A3 bike path. Made Ripley village green at just before seven. Sandwich meal deal consumed, on to Ockham, where my normal route NE was closed. Followed the diversion, with one or two stops to check the route, before getting to Cobham, and then all the way up the 307 to Kingston. At about eight, precipitation, so a pause in a bus stop to don jacket and rain trousers. Successfully navigated the circle of hell Kingston one-way system, and then on to Richmond Park. Took a tumble in there (not sure why or how), so the right STI lever now has a couple of scuffs, and I took a bit of skin off the right wrist (again!!). Dusted myself off, and got going, then abnormality resumed, through Putney and Wandsworth, then Vauxhall. Made it to the South Bank just before ten, a bit later than planned for obvious reasons. Plenty of time to pop to the Waterloo Road Sainsbury's Local for more food & a packet of plasters. Then round to the NT…

Due to pop-up restaurants & associated hubbub, a slighly different rendezvous spot was required- round the side rather than at the front. I was soon joined by @LucretiaMyReflection and others. The expected turnout of about thirty did not materialize, the weather seems to have put off quite a few (the earlier showers were it, though). We had about eighteen riders. Titus borrowed a chair for the safety talk. Midnight, and off we went. Early stretch was somewhat tedious due to traffic and multiple sets of red lights, plus there was a comedy nav error in Waterloo Place (just off Pall Mall) when most of the ride somewhat inexplicably decided to carry on SE rather than follow ride leader round the square. We get to Lisson Grove and then Harrow Road, and the pace thankfully picked up. Through Wembley (another nav error, this time by Titus), Pinner & Northwood. Through the dreadful Moor Park private estate, then Rickmansworth & Chorleywood. Much climbing followed as we entered the Chilterns.

Pretty much on schedule, just after three, to Amersham, where the lovely @rvw @srw and, in a special bonus, Andrew B assisting, had again set up in a church hall. A phenomenal spread awaited (@CharlieB had chipped in with flapjack despite going on tour!!), and they had of course catered for thirty, so there was plenty to go round. It was all splendid.

Thoroughly refuelled, we went onwards and upwards- we weren't done with the climbing just yet- after about an hour, through Great Missenden (which brought to mind a certain motorcycling YouTuber). Not long after the high point of the ride, we passed through a hamlet called Cadsden, fittingly not too far from Chequers…we did not detour to Great Kimble (she still is!). Shortly afterwards, up a very steep ramp indeed (easier walked) to the Phoenix Trail, which even for an off-road wuss proved excellent- gravel, but the surface was no problem for me or my tyres. Back on road into Thame.

Our breakfast stop in Oxford wasn't opening till eight, and we'd made unhurried progress all night- a solitary puncture- so a couple of detours for photos ensued. First off, the famous shark in Headington, then once we had made it into the centre, the Bridge of Sighs followed by the Radcliffe Camera. Some headed off for trains home, the rest to Wetherspoons, where we still had a few minutes to wait before opening. 146.44 miles, 11.6 mph average since home.

Many calories later, round to the station by 9.30. Cross Country service to Reading (earlier than needed to make my connection, but better early than missing it), then at ten the cattle truck bound for Gatwick (three carriages and no bike spaces) as far as Guildford. Off to Fratton from there after 25 or so minutes, home just after noon. And sleep.

Thanks everyone. Next, Ashford, hopefully- possibly on the 23rd…
IMG_20220902_235020731.jpg

IMG_20220903_112804510.jpg

IMG_20220903_074642826.jpg

IMG_20220903_073023823_HDR.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Great write up as usual Stu. Sorry to hear about your off. Glad you and the bike not damaged.
All well and good, hope to see you on the 23rd.

Jameshow

Veteran
This one was yet another affected by rail strikes- the original date of 17 August was out, so postponed a fortnight, and run instead of the scheduled Oxford-Cambridge run (two-thirds of the 'university triangle' rides on the 2022 calendar have been canned). It was week off. Never mind I've already done a century and an eighty miler this week, I was inclined to ride up for this one, weather looked OK, so I did.

As per usual when I ride into the smoke, set off north-east just before two. Lighter winds than earlier in the week, pace started well and would stay that way. Usual route to Petersfield, usual stop at Tesco (mid-ride snackage shopping only partially successful, no cheaper doughnuts), where there were a few drops of moisture, on to Liphook about an hour later, and an extra stop at Sainsbury's (jammy empty calories acquired). On through Haslemere (the lumpy bit), Godalming, Guildford, and the A3 bike path. Made Ripley village green at just before seven. Sandwich meal deal consumed, on to Ockham, where my normal route NE was closed. Followed the diversion, with one or two stops to check the route, before getting to Cobham, and then all the way up the 307 to Kingston. At about eight, precipitation, so a pause in a bus stop to don jacket and rain trousers. Successfully navigated the circle of hell Kingston one-way system, and then on to Richmond Park. Took a tumble in there (not sure why or how), so the right STI lever now has a couple of scuffs, and I took a bit of skin off the right wrist (again!!). Dusted myself off, and got going, then abnormality resumed, through Putney and Wandsworth, then Vauxhall. Made it to the South Bank just before ten, a bit later than planned for obvious reasons. Plenty of time to pop to the Waterloo Road Sainsbury's Local for more food & a packet of plasters. Then round to the NT…

Due to pop-up restaurants & associated hubbub, a slighly different rendezvous spot was required- round the side rather than at the front. I was soon joined by @LucretiaMyReflection and others. The expected turnout of about thirty did not materialize, the weather seems to have put off quite a few (the earlier showers were it, though). We had about eighteen riders. Titus borrowed a chair for the safety talk. Midnight, and off we went. Early stretch was somewhat tedious due to traffic and multiple sets of red lights, plus there was a comedy nav error in Waterloo Place (just off Pall Mall) when most of the ride somewhat inexplicably decided to carry on SE rather than follow ride leader round the square. We get to Lisson Grove and then Harrow Road, and the pace thankfully picked up. Through Wembley (another nav error, this time by Titus), Pinner & Northwood. Through the dreadful Moor Park private estate, then Rickmansworth & Chorleywood. Much climbing followed as we entered the Chilterns.

Pretty much on schedule, just after three, to Amersham, where the lovely @rvw @srw and, in a special bonus, Andrew B assisting, had again set up in a church hall. A phenomenal spread awaited (@CharlieB had chipped in with flapjack despite going on tour!!), and they had of course catered for thirty, so there was plenty to go round. It was all splendid.

Thoroughly refuelled, we went onwards and upwards- we weren't done with the climbing just yet- after about an hour, through Great Missenden (which brought to mind a certain motorcycling YouTuber). Not long after the high point of the ride, we passed through a hamlet called Cadsden, fittingly not too far from Chequers…we did not detour to Great Kimble (she still is!). Shortly afterwards, up a very steep ramp indeed (easier walked) to the Phoenix Trail, which even for an off-road wuss proved excellent- gravel, but the surface was no problem for me or my tyres. Back on road into Thame.

Our breakfast stop in Oxford wasn't opening till eight, and we'd made unhurried progress all night- a solitary puncture- so a couple of detours for photos ensued. First off, the famous shark in Headington, then once we had made it into the centre, the Bridge of Sighs followed by the Radcliffe Camera. Some headed off for trains home, the rest to Wetherspoons, where we still had a few minutes to wait before opening. 146.44 miles, 11.6 mph average since home.

Many calories later, round to the station by 9.30. Cross Country service to Reading (earlier than needed to make my connection, but better early than missing it), then at ten the cattle truck bound for Gatwick (three carriages and no bike spaces) as far as Guildford. Off to Fratton from there after 25 or so minutes, home just after noon. And sleep.

Thanks everyone. Next, Ashford, hopefully- possibly on the 23rd…
View attachment 660002

View attachment 660003

View attachment 660004

View attachment 660005

Has no one returned the shark to the Thames yet?!

Been there a good 30+ yrs!!!

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
The inexplicable detour was because I thought the waymarker was pointing straight on rather than turn right. Having concentrated on negotiating the hazards of the police spot check at the entrance to the square, I didn't notice Titus on the other side!
Getting to a dead end was a clue mind you :laugh:

Top Bottom